Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Circus peanut buckler?  (Read 760 times)

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Circus peanut buckler?
« on: November 28, 2009, 02:01:53 am »

I think I got the most disappointing artifact ever.  An armorsmith demanded three circus peanuts and, believing and hoping that I was about to get an artifact circus peanut plate mail, I took the risk of opening the fun house to get the circus peanuts.  More than a month later he comes out with an artifact circus peanut buckler.

I have two questions here: Does the material of a buckler affect its deflection bonus (and if so, how much)?  Does the fact that its an artifact have any effect on its deflection bonus?
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Circus peanut buckler?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 02:20:44 am »

I think only a shield's quality affects whether it deflects missiles, but I believe that material along with quality affects its ability to block damage.

Either I'm right or I'm pulling it out of my ass. Either way, whoever grabs that buckler should be pretty damn safe.

Scratch all that, I'm probably pulling it out of my ass.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 02:37:09 am »

circus pean-
ooooh i get it...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 03:03:12 am »

I love the analogy.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 03:31:39 am »

I initially wondered what kind of crazy mod he was using, then I suddenly got it.

As to the actual question:  Sorry, no clue.

Ubern00b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 04:31:10 am »

I dont get the peanut portion of the spoiler coverup, hints?
Quote from: Canuhearme(Facepunch Studios)
Isn't Dwarf Fortress just a game of delayed free-fall into a hideously painful and frighteningly horrific death?

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 05:16:54 am »

You live up to your name...
Know what a fun house is? if you do it makes sense...

Damn those clowns...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 08:33:54 am »

Looking at the wiki, It appears that you'll at least get the same block value as one made of masterworked circus  peanuts. I would imagine like other armors you'd also get the artifact bonus ontop of that... but I could always be wrong.

Least you got something useable by your military. All I got when my weapon smith went possesed was a lousy copper pick.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 11:05:21 am »

Im pretty sure material and item quality matter for bucklers. Your proly have a something way stronger than any non-artifact shield you could make.

Its more usefull then what I usualy get anyways, I just get boots all the time... And not even a pair of them, no, ONE boot. Safest left foot ever... yeah great.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 11:20:03 am »

Clowns hate circus peanuts - so much so that the gods chose to build their funhouses out of them :D

So, I guess I'm left with mixed feelings over this thing.  It's not plate mail, but reading the wiki I guess a buckler is better in some ways, especially if this one deflects more than 10%.  Though I still think I'd rather have the plate (or at least a shield instead of a buckler).  Ah well, beggars can't be choosers.  I was really excited over it though, considering how likely it seemed I was getting plate.

I'm being even more of a pest, but does anybody have some math to throw at the buckler calculation?  There isn't any on the wiki, I guess it's something that's under a lot of speculation.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils