Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Large rare Animals hanging around old wells/meeting spots  (Read 1024 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Large rare Animals hanging around old wells/meeting spots
« on: November 25, 2009, 09:55:04 am »

Currently in my game I have gone through 3 meetingspots around wells.
Also in my game I have found capyured and trained TWO GCS.  One of them is currently at the site of my first well, and the other at my second, while at the third and active one, every drwarf, pet cow and cat is hanging out at.

The Wells were dconstructed, and no zones of anytype exist around there.  Everyone else moved on, why are my GCS hanging out at these old spots?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Large rare Animals hanging around old wells/meeting spots
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 01:43:25 pm »

For some reason, animals and dwarves don't immediately move to another meeting zone if the one they are hanging around at is deactivated. They'll move eventually, but it will take a bit of time.

How long ago were these wells deconstructed?

You might try throwing the GCS in a cage and then releasing them and seeing if they move to the new zone.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 05:27:36 pm »

For some reason, animals and dwarves don't immediately move to another meeting zone if the one they are hanging around at is deactivated. They'll move eventually, but it will take a bit of time.

How long ago were these wells deconstructed?

You might try throwing the GCS in a cage and then releasing them and seeing if they move to the new zone.

Yeah, other than hanging out at meeting zones, dwarves and animals hang out at places where they've recently spent a lot of time at. For example, a dwarf trapped behind a wall after being freed will tend to spend free time near the site of his entrapment for a while.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 12:02:44 am »

Just as an update, Ive checked a few things and neither GCS shows up on my animal lists in Stocks or if i try to assign them to a cage, neither do they seem to be anyones pets... Oddly... under "Units" they DO show up as Hostile..

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 03:11:30 am »

It could be the native creatures glitch. Apparently, creatures that were present at the time of embark as an inhabitant of a map feature (e.g. magma pipe, UG river, chasm, pit) cannot be permanently tamed. They can initially be domesticated, but after some time they will revert to their old ways, and become hungry for liaisons and merchants, hence the behavior you observe.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 09:43:43 am »

Well they arn't eating anyone INSIDE the fort, but now im curious if they'll et others.. I'll have to see if I can recpature them via a cagetrap!

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 03:06:43 am »

Barring knocking them out with a cave-in while they're standing on a cage trap, you can't trap Tame animals.

If they're not actually bothering your dwarves, why worry about it? Lure them into your throne room, make the doors impassible for pets, and then wait for the next Elven diplomat to show up.