Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will magma melt ice?  (Read 752 times)

thelordberg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Will magma melt ice?
« on: November 25, 2009, 11:33:26 pm »

Hi DFers, I found a map with magma, problem is the brook is frozen solid. If I channeled the magma to be next to (but not touching!) will that melt the ice? Thanks in advance.
I'm unspeakably dissspointed. A dwarven fortress has discovered a sentient creature made out of mushrooms, and no one has proposed brewing him?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Will magma melt ice?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 12:38:52 am »

Next to the ice won't work - magma only heats adjacent tiles, and if you got it close enough to the water to melt it, you'd just make obsidian.

In order to melt the ice, the magma needs to be above or below the ice, with a stone (or constructed) floor to keep them separated.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 12:53:29 am »

Also note that 7/7 magma will apparently NOT heat the ice enough to unfreeze it, so keep an eye on the magma level and shut off the inflow before your lines fill up completely.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 01:15:19 am »

What Smew means is that once magma reaches 7/7, the game stops running the heat calculations, so any tiles that have managed to remain "cold" won't be heated any more. If you keep the magma at below 7/7 throughout (just a couple of tiles at 6/7 would do the trick) then it'll keep running the calculations and should properly warm everything.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

thelordberg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 01:55:49 am »

Thanks.
I'm unspeakably dissspointed. A dwarven fortress has discovered a sentient creature made out of mushrooms, and no one has proposed brewing him?

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 03:39:54 am »

This principle is behind how you can make water on a glacier map (granted you have magma). It can be useful!
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.