Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Blocks and more blocks?  (Read 1943 times)

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blocks and more blocks?
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 02:28:37 pm »

I approve of the Dwarf Obelisk megaproject.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
  • Behold the saccharine visage of a fluffy wambler.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 03:19:09 pm »

It's been started, although I'll probably eventually tear it down when I need my chalk back. It's an effective way to wall off my fort too; now the only entrance is through a loooong 3-wide tunnel with lots of 90-degree angles.

Just to make sure I'm doing this right, a staircase will support an infinite stack of staircases right? So, when I have a big tower of solid stone with just a single continuous staircase through the center, I can actually mine out the bottom floor first when I need the stone back (leaving the outer walls, naturally)?

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 08:27:10 am »

Yes, if I get the picture right, that works.

Staircases support things just as much as a tile of solid stone will.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2009, 10:33:45 am »

Well, you won't be able to mine it, but you'll be able to deconstruct it, yes.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 10:37:35 am »

If you're building a tower or something you may as well use blocks if only for the added value.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2009, 11:33:02 am »

I don't want to use blocks, because this is a scheme for rough stone storage; I need to be able to reclaim the stone for other construction uses.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 12:28:03 pm »

That will be one of the few times having a lot of children in your fort will help, because children will deconstruct things just like any dwarf.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2009, 12:05:45 pm »

I just thought of something. My strategy was to build a solid tower of constructed stone walls, which I can deconstruct as I need stone, since stone walls always deconstruct into one stone chunk (or block).

But I thought of something else: Do stone floors also deconstruct into a chunk or block? If so, I could double my stored stone density by constructing a hollow tower with floors, and actually hauling raw stone up into the tower. I only need deconstruct the floors when I run out of raw stone (hah), plus hauling raw stone is faster than waiting to deconstruct...

Even if you can re-use the stone from a deconstructed floor, however, I'm still a bit unsure of the mechanics of constructing floors. If I have a stairwell in the center of my tower, can I build floors off of it? And then build more floors off of those floor tiles?

EDIT: Just thought of another, related question. What happens when stone falls onto a tile containing stone? I'm thinking of a catapault firing range with a trench at the end to catch the stone intact, and also of a floor deconstructing and the resulting hunk of stone falling to the floor below.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 12:07:45 pm by Kinoko_Otoko »

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2009, 12:44:08 pm »

All constructions can support other constructions on adjacent tiles. So yes, your staircase can support floors.

And yes, you can get stone to "stack" on other stone by dropping it down a Z-level.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2009, 01:24:15 pm »

But, can I deconstruct a floor tile to re-use the stone it's made from, the same way I can with walls? This is of secondary importance, but it would be nice to know that if I ever need to use a type of stone I have tied up in floor I can do this.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2009, 01:28:13 pm »

But, can I deconstruct a floor tile to re-use the stone it's made from, the same way I can with walls? This is of secondary importance, but it would be nice to know that if I ever need to use a type of stone I have tied up in floor I can do this.

yes
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 [2]