Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d16] apparent false positives on ug pool and aquifer  (Read 971 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d16] apparent false positives on ug pool and aquifer
« on: January 01, 2010, 10:32:03 pm »

Embark no. 1: aquifer in red sand, reveal showed nothing. Disbelieving those results I then reverted back to my "untouched" save file and manually dug through virtually my whole sand layer, finding nothing.

Embark no. 2: site finder came up with an underground pool that should have been easy to find, as it was just north of my magma pipe. Again, reveal didn't, well, reveal the pool, and I am right now manually canvassing my site for it, but I'm not exactly holding my breath.

My game is manually modded in some areas, but I don't think this sort of weird finder behavior could have been caused by it. I mean, if my mods (mainly pertaining to the occurrence of ores, but not to the properties of any stones or soil themselves) or the world gen settings I got somewhere on this forum weren't conducive to the generation of aquifers or pools, then why would they even show up in site finder, instead of becoming undetectable in the first place?

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d16] apparent false positives on ug pool and aquifer
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 11:12:11 pm »

Are you changing the size of or moving the embark area around after the finder has targeted a place to build on? And can you recreate these results in vanilla? Or at least link the mods you're using?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 11:29:06 pm »

Other than whatever mods Mayday included (the one pertaining to economic stones comes to mind), all my modifications are handmade. Thus, in terms of mod-linkage, all I could do would be to upload my raws and the world-gen data (copied off the world-gen cookbook thread), and reviewing those would be a pain in the ass for all concerned.

That said, I'm going to try to recreate that in vanilla.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 11:33:47 pm by assimilateur »

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 12:27:17 am »

Generating a game in vanilla 40d16 with the default large gen parameters, I was able to get aquifers and underground pools to work correctly. This suggests that there must have been something wrong with the world-gen parameters I've used.

Could someone have a look at them?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)