Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flying CIVS?  (Read 1187 times)

Dari

• Bay Watcher
  • I punt kobolds.
    • View Profile
Flying CIVS?
« on: March 19, 2008, 06:27:00 am »

I had an idea for a some sort of floating city that would essentially be a structure that moves, and either travels between Z-levels, or sticks to one of them. I imagined something similar to a wagon, only more tiles, more riders(I suppose it would be a mount) and possibly siege weapons built in, they would be free roaming, and possibly come to trade(Provided you've built... a dock of some kind) now I don't expect this to happen anytime soon, I just felt I had to throw this up in the air.
In case of death, coat in platinum, and worship as idol god.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Flying CIVS?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 08:00:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 10:24:04 pm by penguinofhonor »

Tuv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 08:06:00 pm »

quote:
Auto-rejected on account of a bad pun.

Seconded

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 09:14:00 pm »

I can almost promise you that this will not be done, since it would entail significant rewriting of the core terrain system. This is the kind of feature that really must be designed  rather than retro-fitted into a system.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 09:32:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mikademus:
<STRONG>I can almost promise you that this will not be done, since it would entail significant rewriting of the core terrain system. This is the kind of feature that really must be designed  rather than retro-fitted into a system.</STRONG>

It seems undwarfy, but moving terrain is definitely something that wouldn't be hard to fit in.  As long as it moved slowly, or wasn't very big.  So I suspect the chief reason not to do it is the undwarfiness.

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 12:00:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by benoit.hudson:
<STRONG>

It seems undwarfy, but moving terrain is definitely something that wouldn't be hard to fit in.  As long as it moved slowly, or wasn't very big.  So I suspect the chief reason not to do it is the undwarfiness.</STRONG>

The chief reason not to do it is because it would "entail significant rewriting of the core terrain system." This is programmer-speak for, "I'm not going to spend weeks recreating half my program according to your whims."

Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 12:07:00 am »

Plus... we have to get regular flying people to work first!
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 05:13:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmonot:
<STRONG>programmer-speak for, "I'm not going to spend weeks recreating half my program according to your whims."</STRONG>

Recoding your own program accordng to YOUR whims however (aka Z-level) is fine.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 05:18:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>

Recoding your own program accordng to YOUR whims however (aka Z-level) is fine.</STRONG>

Yes. What's your point?

(Btw, if you were in fact arguing the same side as me, I apologise)

[ March 20, 2008: Message edited by: Mikademus ]

[ March 20, 2008: Message edited by: Mikademus ]

You are a pirate!

If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 06:39:00 pm »

Flying cities would need:
- move terrain.  This is easy, just a loop (hence the need to make sure the city is small)
- magically don't cause cave-in.  Not too hard (mark one of those tiles as being supporting).
- move units and jobs.  Also not hard.

Flying cities would add to the gameplay:
- dork wet dream

So the cost isn't very high, but the benefit is ... limited.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 07:21:00 pm »

It is not hard at all. When you design for it from the start.
You are a pirate!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 09:07:00 pm »

The boat conversation we were having in FotF is similar to this.  A floating city is basically the same as a large boat.  So it's actually likely to happen, assuming I'm still going in some years.  The Z coordinate rewrite was a much larger project.  I don't think the characterization of flying cities as a dork wet dream is any more or less accurate than calling the whole game a dork wet dream.

[ March 20, 2008: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 09:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>I don't think the characterization of flying cities as a dork wet dream is any more or less accurate than calling the whole game a dork wet dream.</STRONG>

Heh; touche  :)

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 10:46:00 pm »

I see no problem at all with flying civs. The main problem we have now is that many of the pathing systems seem to only take into acount the x and y axis. As was mentioned above moving terrain can be done. Fly terrain is even easier (hell some people have problems getting things to stop flying) marking the floatstone/engine/propeller/hover plate as being as supporting tile would be the only problem.

Ohh and by the way everyone goes on about it not being dwarfy this or that or dwarvish that but guess what? In case you haven't looked outside the mines recently there is a whole mess of world an peoples who are most definably not dwarfy so that excuse won't cut it. The name 'Dwarf Fortress' was only a placeholder title after all!

[ March 20, 2008: Message edited by: Belteshazzar ]

In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.