Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksdwarves won't get more ammo  (Read 1459 times)

Tyrael the Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marksdwarves won't get more ammo
« on: November 21, 2009, 05:42:39 pm »

For some reason all my marksdwarves except the elite marksdwarve and his teammate, refuse to get more ammo after they shoot it all. they simply sit there with empty quivers looking at the enemy and its really starting to damage my forts chances of survival if they won't get more ammo. there is an ammo pile close by, accessible by all with none of the ammo forbidden, how do i make them get more ammo to shoot up the orcs  ???
Ilral Gatiz The treaty of Fondling, a cave spider silk short skirt

Tyrius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarves won't get more ammo
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 06:12:50 pm »

Have you checked in their squad menu if they are set to 'chase opponents' or 'stay close to station'?

If your Marksdwarves have ran out of ammo, they could be trying to close into melee range and brain the orcs with their crossbows (read - die stupidly heroicly).

The default setting is 'Chase Opponents', but that tends to get Marksdwarves stuck on your ramparts looking over the edge thinking 'i wish i could jump down this...'
because that's not the dwarven way. Could you make more statues of Urist instead of an impossibly large one chiseled out of the mountain? Sure, you could. If you want to be called a ninny elf by all your friends.

Tyrael the Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 06:24:55 pm »

Sorry i forgot to mention that. yes they are all on stay close to station and ignore wild animals if possible, doesn't seem to have any affect on their fascination with living orcs though
Ilral Gatiz The treaty of Fondling, a cave spider silk short skirt

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 07:43:13 pm »

Mine did that.  I broke them of it by giving them patrol routes that went close to the ammo bins and then towards the target.  It seemed to break them out of their, as you very aptly put it, fascination with the enemy.  The only other way I could break them free was to take them off duty and order all Dwarves inside, which was rather disruptive to the entire fortress and not very efficient use of the marksdwarves either.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 07:45:58 pm »

I think they won't go pick up ammo, but if you force them to path over it they'll grab it, presuming they're set to stay at their station. At least, that's been my experience.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 10:44:09 pm »

It looks like they grab ammo only when out of a fight (line of sight of enemy).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 07:41:38 am »

I've had marksdwarves with no metal bolts, just a stack of wooden bolts in the quiver... dumping the quiver helps, he'll run to get a new quiver and then grab metal ammo.