Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding Announcements  (Read 857 times)

bitbot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Finding Announcements
« on: December 14, 2007, 11:07:00 pm »

Don't you hate it when you get an announcement like 'dwarf flees from enemy' or 'dwarf gets smashed into a bloody pulp' and you can't find where the hell this happened? Of course you could jump to the dwarf using the units screen, however you cannot jump to dead dwarves. This problem was tolerable in the old 2D version, but now with multiple Z levels it's not that easy to find these events by just scrolling around on the map.

My suggestion on how to solve this is that each announcement would have an XYZ position and that in the announcement screen you could select and zoom to one.

Easy and quick to add?

itbot

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Announcements
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 11:12:00 pm »

Z -> Stocks -> Corpses -> Tab -> Scroll to dead thing -> Z
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 11:13:00 pm »

Edit: Beaten to the punch.

[ December 14, 2007: Message edited by: Wooty ]

Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

bitbot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 11:15:00 pm »

Doesn't that require the corpses to be in a stockpile?
itbot

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 11:31:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by bitbot:
<STRONG>Doesn't that require the corpses to be in a stockpile?</STRONG>

No.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 11:28:00 am »

Also note that that meathod is significantly more involved* than Units -> Scroll to living thing.  I mean, dead things are in there too, why can't we scroll to them?

*So involved in fact that I'll forget it as soon as I make this post.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 01:17:00 pm »

Well, the problem with that is dead things can be in several peices in several places or disseapeared entirely, so it wouldn't really work to zoom in where a dead person is.
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 01:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wooty:
<STRONG>Well, the problem with that is dead things can be in several peices in several places or disseapeared entirely, so it wouldn't really work to zoom in where a dead person is.</STRONG>

Typically dead things have one....torso, yes?  We could zoom to the torso.  Or maybe the head...or maybe "last location when living."  I mean, really.