Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A question about healthcare  (Read 748 times)

AfterShave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A question about healthcare
« on: November 18, 2009, 03:35:39 pm »

I have a dwarf who broke his leg while sparring, so he was given a bed to rest in. The problem is that he wont eat, wont drink and not even sleep. He has just been lying there waiting for death it seems like.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

His only friend and sparring partner has been by his side the whole time, isn't that cute.
Gotta love the DF forums. A statement like this anywhere else could land you a couple years of counseling.

This is an anagram of my name
      Highborn Jerk Monster

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: A question about healthcare
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 04:06:56 pm »

His only friend and sparring partner has been by his side the whole time, isn't that cute.

This might actually just be that his "friend" is under his chain of command. So he sticks around the boss, if you change the chain of command he'll leave him there to die. :) Isn't that cute?

I have no idea why they won't feed him though. or why he won't sleep! He's obviously not actually in the sickbed .. is the bed forbidden somehow? is something he's holding forbidden? is he laying on top of something forbidden? sometimes dwarves get things lodged in their bodies and these things get pulled out in bed - and get forbidden.

This could cause some problems. Did it for me once.

Edit: First of all try deconstructing the bed and see if he gets to a proper one.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 04:08:18 pm »

I don't know why he's hungry, but do you have a well or a source of fresh water and a bucket?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 04:11:21 pm »

What's he currently doing? Is he listed as being a 'Soldier', or is he trying to 'Rest'. My guess is that he's super tough, so he's still conscious after getting injured. Dwarves need to fall unconscious, for some reason, before they can be hauled to bed.

Try knocking him out with a cave-in, and then try assigning him or a room or removing the assignment.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

AfterShave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 04:17:23 pm »

This might actually just be that his "friend" is under his chain of command. So he sticks around the boss, if you change the chain of command he'll leave him there to die.  Isn't that cute?
I never thought of the chain of command thing, but i still think my "He's his only friend" reason was way cooler.   :P

And yes i have water, he might have had a spear in his leg that was forbidden
but i can't check that now since he's long dead now. I think the no water issue might be because the fort is inside a glacier so the water froze, I had a problem with a pond earlier and this might be pretty much the same.
Gotta love the DF forums. A statement like this anywhere else could land you a couple years of counseling.

Highborn Jerk Monster

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 09:43:40 pm »

From the wiki:

Sometimes an injured dwarf will cancel his resting and try to stand; since he is on the same tile as a bed, nobody will save them; but since he isn't resting and can't do anything on his own, he will simply starve to death because nobody will help him. This can be remedied by removing the bed from underneath them, and another dwarf will come save them. (The system will be overhauled in the next patch.)

Also, do you have any prepared food? (as in biscuits, stews, or roasts) I seem to remember hearing somewhere that the Bring Food job will only target prepared meals.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 09:59:31 pm »

Actually, Bring Food will only bring non-meals -- meat and fish, plump helmets and berries, cheese, and the like. I don't know why recovering dwarves only get basic provisions, but that's how it is. Something to watch out for if you habitually focus on only cooked food.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

AfterShave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 04:59:43 am »

I don't make any prepared meals, my dwarves eat everything unprepared.

Highborn Jerk Monster

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 01:29:36 pm »

The reason for the 'drowsy' can also be if the bed area is in a noise zone - that is, built too close to workshops/sparring/etc. Injured dwarves (and regular ones for that matter) won't get enough sleep if they're constantly getting woken up.

If the room is designated as a barracks, I suggest you turn it off. Toady's stated that 'unassigned' beds are considered hospital beds, and dwarves will heal faster in them.

(At least, this was all true last time I've checked the wiki.)
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

AfterShave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 01:24:42 pm »

My barracks is pretty close to my workshops yes, but not close enough. they have a 4 tile noise radius right? I've got two other guys injured right now and they can sleep.

Off topic, is it impossible to give them water on a freezing map? If it isn't impossible i would like to know how to keep the water from freezing in the buckets and being thrown on the ground.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 02:29:34 pm by AfterShave »

Highborn Jerk Monster

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 02:36:32 pm »

In order to give them water on a freezing map, you have to make sure that the path between the well and the injured dwarf is far enough underground that the water won't freeze.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 07:15:33 pm »

I seem to have a lot of dwarves in my current map who are afflicted with this curse - too injured to move, yet not injured enough to fall unconscious.  Other dwarves won't actually come to help until the dwarf falls unconscious, and the dwarf won't even help itself.  I've even tried placing a booze stockpile around the dwarf - the result was a tragic wounded dwarf surrounded by - and even sharing a tile with - barrels of booze.  The dwarf won't even get a drink from a barrel in its same tile!  This can continue for as long as a month, until the dwarf goes hungry, thirsty, and drowsy enough to finally pass out.  By this time there's very little time for another dwarf to actually rescue it to a bed and begin caring for it.

If I may speculate, It seems to me that in this situation a high toughness stat spells doom for the injured dwarf.  High toughness means the dwarf will let itself get much closer to death than usual before falling unconscious, thus drastically shortening the window of rescue.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

AfterShave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 08:30:45 pm »

How do i get the water into the rock then? Currently i'm heating the ice with magma from below to get my water,and if the water comes outside the heated area it freezes. I can't channel down either because that will just create obsidian.

Highborn Jerk Monster