Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Underground Fish Farming  (Read 986 times)

grendel

Underground Fish Farming
« on: November 12, 2006, 10:12:00 am »

It'd be pretty cool to be able to dig underground pools, fill them with water, and then bring a few live fish to them and let them breed. The farms could keep a tally of how many fish they have in them, what kind of fish* they have, whether there's enough food in them, etc.

From a menu you could tell the dwarves what the minimum number of fish in the pool must be, so that they won't overfish and destroy your breeding stocks.

Pools should also have a maximum limit on the number of fish they can contain based upon their size. Pools which are not adequately supplied with fish food will not grow.

*Fish is a blanket term of course. The farms could have river turtles, cave lobsters, moghoppers, or whatever else.

[ November 12, 2006: Message edited by: grendel ]

Lord Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underground Fish Farming
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 03:42:00 pm »

Agreed, but it shouldn't be handled like farms are, just give fish the ability to breed and use the butchering interface to have them killed.
he Dwarf Fortress Blog is now up and running, albeit ugly and empty. Do your part, and email stories, worlds, and mod files to dasuberalt@yahoo.com

I''ll put it up on the blog, and give you credit.

http://dwarffortressblog.blogspot.com/

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 06:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Blue:
<STRONG>Agreed, but it shouldn't be handled like farms are, just give fish the ability to breed and use the butchering interface to have them killed.</STRONG>

Well, that should problaby be on a per-pool basis, since fish in Pool A shouldn't be able to breed with fish in unconnected Pool B. A notification of "You have X water animals in pools" in the Animals screen or somewhere like it would be useful, though.

grendel

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 06:24:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Blue:
<STRONG>Agreed, but it shouldn't be handled like farms are, just give fish the ability to breed and use the butchering interface to have them killed.</STRONG>

I was thinking you could simply set a minimum number of fish (say, 10) in your fish farm, and dwarves would come by and fish there if there's more than 10, and let it be when there's less than 10.

Maybe you could also toggle your fish farms from fishable/nonfishable to let them recover for a season or two before the mad blitz of fisherdwarves returns.

Angela Christine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 11:00:00 pm »

I think that only cave fish and cave lobsters would breed successfully inside the cave.  Fish are really finicky about what conditions they will survive and breed in.  Guppies will breed like crazy in almost any conditions, but most fish have specific temperature, water hardness, salinity, light and other environmental conditions.  Since the dwarves aren't using heaters, chillers, water hardeners, water softeners, Ph modifiers, additives, bubblers or filters, the water is only going to be appropriate for creatures that live in similar water.  Even then the still water in the pool or aquarium is not going to be ideal.  Most fish are also filthy cannibals and happily eat their own eggs and babies.

I think this would be most useful and somewhat realistic for cave lobsters.  Cave lobsters are insanely nasty to catch.  It usually takes me at least three _stacks_ of meat for each lobster, the rest get stolen or catch spiders.

[ November 12, 2006: Message edited by: Angela Christine ]

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 02:19:00 am »

good idea... as long as you don't see them move around in the game... as that'll lag like mad.... having all animals inside 1 single cage is bad enough... don't even mention chaining each animal!

make ranch (for animals) / fish farm as a 6x6 building or something... which doesn't show the animals/fish inside graphically.. (can see them under "t").. i mean that's the only way i think it'll work for things not to be shown graphically

say there's a limit to the number of fish/animals (maybe young/old respectively... say 10 each or whatever) possible inside each farm... use the animal care skill... etc

[ November 13, 2006: Message edited by: bbb ]