Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Releasing Giant Eagle?  (Read 1451 times)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Releasing Giant Eagle?
« on: November 17, 2009, 11:36:25 am »

I've searched for this and I wasn't able to find what I am sure must be a well-known answer.

I bought a tame Giant Eagle from the Dwarves, well, actually, I stole it from them, but regardless it is now mine.  Everytime I instruct my Dwarves to release it from the cage, they release it, then grab it and bundle it into another cage.  What's the deal here?
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Releasing Giant Eagle?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 11:45:15 am »

You have to build the cage as a building, attach it to a lever and then pull the lever.

The reason is that unassigning an animal from a cage is treated by the game as reassigning it to a different, random cage.

Or rather, the dwarves remove the creature from the cage, but the mere act of doing so apparently does not change the fact that the dwarves think the creature should be in a cage, and so they then panics and put it in a new cage.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 11:48:30 am by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 11:49:23 am »

You have to build the cage as a building, attach it to a lever and then pull the lever.

The reason is that unassigning an animal from a cage is treated by the game as reassigning it to a different, random cage.

I release other animals from cages all the time by unassigning them.  This is only happening with the eagle.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 11:58:44 am »

Hmmm, I actually do what you do a lot too. At least what I suggested should work without question.

It definitely does this with goblins and hostiles, as well as vermin. What I wrote is probably what's causing it, but why there's a difference in treatment I don't know.

You didn't mod the eagles, right?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 12:11:57 pm »

It might be because it was stolen... certainly, I've released a (legally purchased) Giant Eagle before, without any problem.

Accidentally caged Dwarves can only be released by lever, though... or by destruction of the cage. Happened to me, yesterday.
Never pet a burning dog.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 12:25:20 pm »

It might be because it was stolen... certainly, I've released a (legally purchased) Giant Eagle before, without any problem.

Accidentally caged Dwarves can only be released by lever, though... or by destruction of the cage. Happened to me, yesterday.

This was it!  Thanks.  :)  I went in with Dwarf Companion and found that not only was the civilization set to another civilization, presumably the Elven one, but it was marked as a caravan guard.  I had to remove that checkmark also before they would stop recaging it when it was released.

Edit:  In the next siege it promptly flew over the wall and got itself slaughtered.  Oh well, easy come, easy go.   :D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 01:02:45 pm by slink »

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 05:22:12 pm »

I don't understand why everyone keeps enforcing this "use a lever" thing. It's a hassle! You can just dig a 1x1 pit with a ramp out of it and dump the animal in there.

Once they throw it in it walks out on its own (in the case of eagles you don't even need the ramp) and no dwarves will attempt to throw it back in.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.