Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Perfect Magma Trap  (Read 12351 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: The Perfect Magma Trap
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 03:14:22 pm »

One way you could achieve this without having the problem of magma sitting on that pesky floor tile is to replace it with a wall.

###O####O####O
#O####O####O##
####O####O####
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Kami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 04:02:23 pm »

I know, the movie is not perfect. ;D And I should not have used the blue stone. I made 2 other versions before this one, one of them quite similar to the one you described, and I was not sure that this one would work. The wall you mentioned is not against building destroyers (not in the first place). The version before this one had no wall, just a magma channel that also protects the pumps, and the middle row was a floor to support the grates. The wall is built to let the pressure press the water from below through the grates. There is an estetic aspect of this, but as I understand it, this is the reason why there will be no 1/7 of water left on the floor. I had the same problem, too. The reason why this happenes is that the fluid flows. :P If you pump fluid out of a pool, even when you do it one level below, the water on the upper level will flow to the sides. Finally there will be a 1/7 fluid flowing over 7/7 fluid but reaching the floor tile to stop there unpumpable. The wall seems to prevent it successfully. It is a wall for the 7/7 water removed from the floor and stacked over the row of water on the other side. So it cannot flow to the sides or back to the floor tiles or other tiles in the trap. The pumps themselves seem to be fast enough to remove water before it spreads to the side on the walking level. (If I understand correctly.) The sideview at the moment the pumps start looks like this. (Hope you can see what I mean.)
Code: [Select]
WWWWWWWWWW
WWWW7%% WW
W %%7W7 7W
 7%%777W7W
7WWW WWWWW
WWWWWWWWWW
More testing will be required, especially with real magma. ^^

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 02:59:14 pm »

Kanddak, I had an idea for this just now and thought I'd throw it out there. Since brooks act as natural grates that are supported by other brook/grate tiles, could you theoretically dam a brook, fill it with magma, and have magma flood through / drain out of the brook tiles? If it worked, this would allow you to have a 3 (or in some places 4) tile wide entrance, though it would require embarking somewhere with a brook. As caravans do path over and will enter over brooks, the depot will remain accessible through here.

Of course, this is all assuming that a) magma can rise and fall through brook tiles (which I don't know) and b) that I understand how your original trap works (which I would say I only marginally do).

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 05:41:18 pm »

Eh, I like the idea of a raising bridge down the middle of a three-tile corridor best.  It seems like the simplest method. That plus dropping the magma from an extra level is probably the best way to do it.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

sono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2009, 06:08:12 pm »

I know, the movie is not perfect. ;D And I should not have used the blue stone. I made 2 other versions before this one, one of them quite similar to the one you described, and I was not sure that this one would work. The wall you mentioned is not against building destroyers (not in the first place). The version before this one had no wall, just a magma channel that also protects the pumps, and the middle row was a floor to support the grates. The wall is built to let the pressure press the water from below through the grates. There is an estetic aspect of this, but as I understand it, this is the reason why there will be no 1/7 of water left on the floor. I had the same problem, too. The reason why this happenes is that the fluid flows. :P If you pump fluid out of a pool, even when you do it one level below, the water on the upper level will flow to the sides. Finally there will be a 1/7 fluid flowing over 7/7 fluid but reaching the floor tile to stop there unpumpable. The wall seems to prevent it successfully. It is a wall for the 7/7 water removed from the floor and stacked over the row of water on the other side. So it cannot flow to the sides or back to the floor tiles or other tiles in the trap. The pumps themselves seem to be fast enough to remove water before it spreads to the side on the walking level. (If I understand correctly.) The sideview at the moment the pumps start looks like this. (Hope you can see what I mean.)

Before i read this, i used to believe i possess adequate mental capacities to play DF.
Now, i am not so sure.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2009, 03:36:07 am »

THIS is the perfect magma trap.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2009, 05:02:03 pm »

Kandrak,

I'm working on modifying your logic system for a slightly different purpose but I'm running in to trouble... In my system it keeps getting stuck with various non-drained amounts of water that start setting off and reactivating parts of the logic. 

What did you have the pressure plates set to activate on?  7/7 for all of them? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2009, 03:17:37 pm »

What I think he did (or should have done) was that all plates are set on 7/7, water in is highly pressurized, and drains are pumps, that can remove water at very fast rates.
Pages: 1 [2]