Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Very Few Migrants  (Read 639 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Very Few Migrants
« on: December 01, 2009, 04:10:42 pm »

I have over six million wealth.  About five deaths since founding, which was about seven game years ago.  I've discovered adamantium.  And my population stands at 79.  For the past several seasons I've gotten the announcement: "Your fortress attracted no migrants this season."  I can't find the cause.

The population cap in my .ini file is set to 200.  My dwarf civilization still exists.  It still sends a caravan every fall, though the liason died.  Elf and dwarf caravans have been coming and going peacefully for several years.  No humans in range.

The only thing odd about this fortress is that with the Deeper mod I've been under frequent siege---about three times a year.  So I can understand the migrants not coming while I'm under siege.  But still I get the "no migrants" message when I'm not under siege.

Why so few migrants?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Very Few Migrants
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 04:34:48 pm »

Migration seems to be very random. Sometimes you can get dozens of dwarves in the first year, othertimes its almost nothing.

However you could try breeding your own dwarves. Make a 1 tile meeting zone, turn off jobs for a while so everyone can party together.

In about 12 years you'll have your own army of dwarves to draft into the military or to haul things around.

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 04:43:36 pm »

Well, I have experienced not to get the summer migrants when I'm very far from the home civ. Interestingly, when I used [SPEED:0] to speed things up, I have got the caravan in mid-summer at least once. My guess is you're just too far away from your civ, but don't count on my words here.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 07:30:50 pm »

The general thought is that what attracts migrants is not so much wealth as change in wealth. So, if you have six million wealth for several seasons in a row, your delta-W is ~0 and you get few or no migrants, while if you have 0 wealth at start and you suddenly get up to half a million, your delta-W is 500000 and you get dozens of migrants.

However, this may not be the case; the mechanics behind migrants are not especially well-understood, in part due to the difficulty of doing SCIENCE! on it. Even if someone manages to save mere moments before a migrant wave appears, they can get different numbers and types of migrants even with the exact same fort and fortress wealth each time they savescum, so doing a control group, or even any consistent experiment at all, is nigh impossible.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 10:24:01 pm »

My current theory is that the key number for immigration is not created wealth, but wealth owned by individual dwarves.  In this fortress I've made nearly none of the little trade goods that individual dwarves can pick up and hide away in their rooms.  Now I'm focusing in raising the value of their rooms with furniture and engraving.  Maybe that'll help.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 10:34:00 pm »

Leonidas: that could only apply post-economy. I suppose it's possible that Toady added it as a factor in immigration once the economy triggers, but the economy's in such a half-baked state that I don't think it is.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 05:40:38 am »

It always seemed pretty random to me, although extra unclaimed bedrooms and steady production of various kinds of junk seems to help. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...