Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embarking Underground  (Read 729 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Embarking Underground
« on: April 18, 2010, 07:46:25 am »

Should be possible as an option when you're at the embark screen. Would be just the same as usual except your dwarves and wagon would appear on the first cavern layer, maybe it should be possible to choose the second layer or even 'hell' for more challenge. O_o

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking Underground
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 10:48:13 am »

Landing on HFS would be instant death.
Plus, how would you even get the wagon underground without mining?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 12:19:36 pm »

Well you could get mules instead of a wagon. The question for moving stuff around underground is thought another. How do you get dwarven civs to plan routes underground for carvans and founding of (NPC-)cities. Embarking underground is nice but aclimatic if you land in a hermetical closed cave.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 01:50:10 pm »

This seems perfectly plausible to me- I mean, the underground is open, you *should* be able to do a check of whether or not there's a wagon path into any particular layer, and it is rather dwarvenly (who needs the bloody surface, anyway?).
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 02:06:12 pm »

I was trying out adventure mode animalmen recently, and I found that they don't respond to the ADVENTURE_TIER tag, as their civilizations are apparently handled differently from all the others.  You can't select "such and such" from "so and so", like the standard races.

However, putting in INDIV_CONTROLLABLE allowed me to use the "play now!" option.  But this resulted in an animalman popping up in the middle of some human town, rather than the underground.

Even if underground Fort Mode embarks are frowned upon, I'd like for the ability to at least spawn adventurers in the land underneath.  Then you could have a nice little adventure in attempting to find a passage UP.

Fully underground civilizations would also be nice.  And no, I don't just mean those little lobster piles that the animalmen call "civilization".

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 02:15:03 pm »

Well, if you were Duergar-ish, you'd be coming from another underground area, using the caverns as a sort of... Deep Road, almost....

I approve of this suggestion, since it not only allows one to really play a proper duergarlike, but makes the idea of cavern-spawning invasions/ambushes by subterranean elves and goblins and whathaveyous more possible.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 02:31:50 pm »

Well, if you were Duergar-ish, you'd be coming from another underground area, using the caverns as a sort of... Deep Road, almost....

I approve of this suggestion, since it not only allows one to really play a proper duergarlike, but makes the idea of cavern-spawning invasions/ambushes by subterranean elves and goblins and whathaveyous more possible.
You'd have to embark right next to a subterranean road.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.