Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: They dump whatever they want... Is it a bug?  (Read 1053 times)

hitto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
They dump whatever they want... Is it a bug?
« on: November 17, 2009, 05:42:06 am »

Hi all,
On my current fortress, I have two stockpiles overflowing with medium to exceptional quality items I want thrown away since the beginning of the year. They are clearly marked as "D", they are accessible and sitting in stockpiles.

When I remove the stockpiles, the marked-for-dumping items get TRANSPORTED TO ANOTHER STOCKPILE.
And that happens whether there is ANY work at all or NO work at all (everyone idling but the military basically)

and now I have a stockpile of to-be-melted items that's filling up because my magma smelters apparently don't work even though my magma forges drawing from the same magma river work just fine. (the coke-using smelters work fine, but won't work if I don't have fuel, which is strange since this world was GENNED with fuel-free reactions.

Do I need to designate a laaaaarge stockpile if workshop clutter is at fault? I looked over most workshops, though; and T only shows me coke or metal bars, not even enough to warrant a CLT most of the time.

Or is it my punishment for wanting to build an adamantine-only megafortress? (hey, if you're gonna cheat...)

EDIT : Oh, and most of the items do not have owners. they're mechanisms and furniture, for the most. like, beds when every dorf has his own and the barracks is nicely furnished anyway.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 05:50:18 am by hitto »

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
Re: They dump whatever they want... Is it a bug?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 06:04:09 am »

Make sure you have a dump site, i button and set as dump, other then that I cant help...
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

hitto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 08:43:09 am »

The dump site is an 8x8 rectangle made up of 6 solid ground and two loooooooooong chasm channels (the chasm spans a hundred of the 120 z-levels on the map)
I tried designating non-destroying (just on ground) garbage dumps and sometimes they will move things there, but there still remain items they don't wanna haul around.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 09:15:45 am »

If you've got magma and a chasm I really don't see what the problem is... that's TWO ways to get rid of unwanted items without using the 'D'ump designation.  Also check if they can actually reach the garbage platform..  :P

And if you cheat like that, you're gonna get bugs, deal with it.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

hitto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 09:29:48 am »

They do reach the platform for many other things; But how do you get rid of stuff with a chasm without the Dump designation?

Can you designate stockpiles on a bridge?

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 09:32:19 am »

First:

Make sure the garbage zone is active.  Also, make sure it's actually designated a garbage zone.

For zones, you designate the area through [ i], then press the letter for what kind of zone you want it to be: I think it's [g] for garbage.  That will highlight the option you chose in the list on the right-side menu (if there are more than 0 spaces available for that zone type).  They default to active on creation, but pressing [a] while hovering over the zone will toggle active status.  A zone must be designated and active to be used.

Second:

If the items are outside, make sure you set orders to allow refuse hauling outside.  [ o]->[r]->etc

I don't know the specifics of this, but when dumping stuff that happens to be outside, just make sure this is allowed anyway.

Third:

Can't designate stockpiles on a bridge, but you can [d]ump from above the bridge so that items land on it.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

hitto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 03:47:56 pm »

Aaah, got it, thanks.
It's garbage that was designated when the stockpile was still "outside" (ie the top of the fort), but never changed... flags or tokens? After the tower was built.

Or does inside light aboveground count as.... outside...?

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 04:23:51 pm »

You could also get rid of them by stockpiling them in front of an Atom-Smasher (a raising drawbridge that destroys them when it comes back down). Just set that stockpile to accept only low-to-medium quality items.
Never pet a burning dog.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 04:29:50 pm »

Translate "outside" with "aboveground". At least when dealing with orders.
So, yes: inside and aboveground is still "outside".