Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Defying Gravity (TV show)  (Read 1200 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Defying Gravity (TV show)
« on: November 29, 2009, 07:18:19 pm »

Its now into its 8th episode and I'm surprised that no-one else has posted about this quite frankly amazing show. Link

Its following the journey and training of a spaceship destined to visit each planet in the solar system in the near future, in the 50's (2050's). The show is being co-produced by the BBC (this show has taken inspiration from the docu-drama space thing that they made a while back), Fox television and Omni Film productions. So its the british american and canadian all getting together to make a space shooow!

Anyway, its a good premise for a show with some interesting twists. The characters are fleshed out with each episode, with each episode revisiting one or two of them back to important parts in their training (mostly interactions with the other crewmembers while they were cadets).

I'm very glad the BBC has put their name to something like this, with all their extremely shitty shows currently spewing out.

Anyhoo, its up on BBCiplayer (the latest one at least) and I'm sure you guys could find some other way to watch the older episodes.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
Re: Defying Gravity (TV show)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 07:34:50 pm »

I saw a couple of episodes, but laughed when one of them got her thumb cut off, and all the blood was floating round the room, like there was very low or no gravity. The actors were walking as if there was normal gravity. Either both float, or neither do.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 07:58:14 pm »

I saw a couple of episodes, but laughed when one of them got her thumb cut off, and all the blood was floating round the room, like there was very low or no gravity. The actors were walking as if there was normal gravity. Either both float, or neither do.
The actors were a metal suit the is attracted to the floor, and they have a spray that keeps there hair like there was gravity.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 07:58:43 pm »

Do they use one of the centrifugal force artificial gravity-kabobs? I've never seen the show.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 10:03:23 pm »

Yeah, they have magenetic floors in most places and the spinny pod things that they sleep/eat in.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 11:51:50 am »

Can't you just use regular gel or hairspray to keep hair down in space? If I remember correctly, hair doesn't just go berserk the moment you leave gravity. You actually have to mess it up first.

Also, the BBC is incredible for a state-funded media network. I wish more countries had that kind of awesome "free" tv.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 01:45:59 pm »

Yeah, they have magenetic floors in most places and the spinny pod things that they sleep/eat in.
Wouldn't Velcro be more efficient? If you are using electromagnets then it would cost a lot of energy to constantly keep the astronauts stuck to the ground yet releasing them when they want to step. If they are rare-earth magnets then the force needed to lift your feet would be the same as tearing apart Velcro. The advantage would be a lack of heavy metal plates one needs to spend thousands of dollars to ship into space just for the floors as opposed to a fraction of the weight cost in Velcro.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 02:23:15 pm »

I suppose that having feet attached to the ground, while every other part of your body floats around, might be uncomfortable to some. Or maybe they just didn't think of it

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 04:25:57 pm »

Wouldn't Velcro be more efficient? If you are using electromagnets then it would cost a lot of energy to constantly keep the astronauts stuck to the ground yet releasing them when they want to step. If they are rare-earth magnets then the force needed to lift your feet would be the same as tearing apart Velcro. The advantage would be a lack of heavy metal plates one needs to spend thousands of dollars to ship into space just for the floors as opposed to a fraction of the weight cost in Velcro.

How about some futuristic Velcro, commonly called Gecko Tape? (read the references, they give a far better idea of the stuff then the wiki page)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 05:54:18 pm »

I think its to supply the effect of gravity. Their clothes (not 100% sure on this) are effected as well, so it seems like their in gravity when their not. Anyway, its explained in some episode or another.

Also, the BBC is incredible for a state-funded media network. I wish more countries had that kind of awesome "free" tv.

And yes, we are incredible. Only I am allowed to make fun of it.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 08:19:55 pm »

I'm more qualified to make fun of it than you are.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

sdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 04:22:28 am »

I too love this show and im pretty sure it's set somewhat into the future (6 yrs manned flight to venus, having already returned from mars?) so you cant judge it by today's technology.

It was a nice suprise to see this on the BBC I-Player and it's one of the shows i look forward to watching every week (along with Merlin and The Thick of It)

I was hopin to get a glimpse of "Beta" (thats what it's called, right?) at the end of episode 8 but my fears were confirmed that we have to wait for the next episode ><)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 04:24:24 am by sdu »

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 03:02:57 pm »

Its set in 2052 I believe.

Spoiler: Plot spoiler below (click to show/hide)

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 03:14:19 pm »

leave gravity
lol'd.

and yeah, i watched most of it, found it pretty meh tbh. rather too unreal for a good sci-fi imho.