Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chucking goblins in pits...help  (Read 635 times)

Dreadbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Chucking goblins in pits...help
« on: November 20, 2009, 05:59:08 pm »

Greetings all, just starting on my first official fortress (after having done the Complete Newby guide, cheers Tiny Pirate), and I've built a drowning chamber that I would like to test out on a few of my uncooperative goblin guests. Can anyone walk me through the process? I so far have chucked a caged goblin into the pit, released a goblin via lever, who proceeded to make a break for it (but didn't get too far), and now I have built a cage b-j and got a goblin in a cage at the edge of my pit. How can I command a dwarf to take him out of the cage and chuck him in the pit? Many thanks for your help, and apologies for my density (-->uranium).

Dreadbeard

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chucking goblins in pits...help
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 06:06:12 pm »

Designate a zone via the 'i' menu over the pit, then set it to be a pit via 'p' and hit 'P' to select something to be pitted. Select the goblin. Be sure to station some military nearby (preferably not marksdwarves) in case they break free, they occasionally do that. While the enemy is being hauled they won't react, but as soon as the thing escapes it's considered hostile again and dwarves will react accordingly.

If the enemy is someone dangerous like an axelord, you can dump their gear by designating the cage for dumping through d->b->d and then manually unmarking the cage via the 'k' menu. It's easier than it sounds, and once you get the keybinds memorized you can do all of this in seconds.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Dreadbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 06:16:47 pm »

Brilliant, that did it. Thanks a lot.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 06:20:36 pm »

You may also find it useful to construct the cage with the victim next to the pit.  This reduces hauling time/distance but most importantly reduces the chances the lil' bugger will escape.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 09:05:08 pm »

In my experience, captured goblin fighters never try to escape - you can drag them from one end of the fort to the other, and they won't put up a fight. Thieves (and wild animals and megabeasts), however, are an entirely different story...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Dreadbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 02:11:39 am »

Thank you all for the helpful replies!
Unfortunately, I only built my drowning chamber 1 Z-level deep. Even when I filled it all the way to 7/7, the goblin 'guest' was able to cope with it...was he swimming? At any rate, I failed to build a drowning chamber, I instead have built a goblin jacuzzi. ::)

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 02:19:55 am »

If you add Carp, it becomes a Goblin Blender.
Never pet a burning dog.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 02:15:03 pm »

Thank you all for the helpful replies!
Unfortunately, I only built my drowning chamber 1 Z-level deep. Even when I filled it all the way to 7/7, the goblin 'guest' was able to cope with it...was he swimming? At any rate, I failed to build a drowning chamber, I instead have built a goblin jacuzzi. ::)

In order to properly down your victims it is often useful to cap your drowning room and fill it via screw pump.  After trying out a few designs I have settled into filling the room from the side with a screw pump, then after everything is dead I open a hatch in the ceiling and pump the water back into the water source I filled it from.  I usually fill the room from a pool that I fill using buckets and have to top it off after each cycle, but this reduces the danger of flooding my fort and gives all those idlers something to do.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.