Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: a possible solution to arrow problem  (Read 2423 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: a possible solution to arrow problem
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 01:17:53 pm »

Toady has said that marksdwarves are supposed to keep grabbing stacks of bolts until they have 100 total or something.  I think it's broken right now.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 01:20:04 pm »

What if ordering a "Combine bolts" order in a bowers workshop would have him combine the nearest bolts together into groups of 25. Averaging their quality. I don't see why this wouldn't work. Of course decorations will vanish but what kind of idiot decorates AMMO?
In addition to what Neonivek mentioned:

*Coverings of blood/vomit/etc. would have to be dealt with.  While simply removing them would be perfectly fine the vast majority of the time, it would technically make a difference when trying to sell ammo to the Elves.

*Averaging quality wouldn't necessarily be easy.  If you have 20 masterpiece and 5 no-tag, what would they average to?  And how would the rounding be done?  And plenty of other problems.

*What if you have stacks that don't add up to 25?  It wouldn't do you any good if you had 24 single bolts laying around, or if you had stacks of 6, 7, 9, and 11 that you wanted combined.

*And the big one: like the original suggestion, it would probably be a temporary half-measure that will have to be removed anyways once things are fixed.  That's time and resources going into something that will simply disappear anyways and not necessarily help much in the meantime.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 02:42:09 pm »

Toady has said that marksdwarves are supposed to keep grabbing stacks of bolts until they have 100 total or something.  I think it's broken right now.

I think I've said that three times now, only not with a specific number because I didn't know what it was.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 04:27:31 pm »

I don't really see any sort of problem with letting my marksdwarves run out with 1 bolt.  They are all hammer trained and carry masterpiece adamantine crossbows.  It almost always results in a 1 hit = 1 kill situation, and tends to launch the bodies very nicely.

I would like to see them actually fill the quivers.  Even more I would like to see bolts and arrows stay in the quiver. When the dwarf does a pickup equipment they grab the quiver pull out anything of the wrong type, and then load it full.

I want to be able to have all my quivers full so that when I order order my dwarves to drop the practice hammer and grab crossbows they can do it quickly.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 05:47:02 pm »

I think I've said that three times now, only not with a specific number because I didn't know what it was.

Then there's a good chance I actually just read you saying so.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 05:51:56 pm »

Then there's a good chance I actually just read you saying so.

Entirely possible...

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 06:59:13 pm »

handling quiver stuff may happen in the next version... but that version may also break savegames.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008, 07:47:43 pm »

I think Toady said that there's no "may" about it.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.
Pages: 1 [2]