Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [trapavoid]=sometimes?  (Read 811 times)

pluckcitizen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[trapavoid]=sometimes?
« on: November 30, 2009, 02:47:13 pm »

Is this possible? I want to use traps but I dont want them to be 100% effective or uneffective
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 02:50:44 pm by pluckcitizen »

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
Re: [trapavoid]=sometimes?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 04:47:14 pm »

I don't think it's possible. A rough simulation would be to give them trapavoid and use a field of upright spike traps attached to an automatic repeater, but of course that would also be rather dangerous for any friendlies that path through the area.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 06:44:00 pm »

You could probably help with a long-delay timer mechanism, rigged to a pressure plate on either end that triggers for your citizens, some distance away from the spikes, on either side; when triggered, it interrupts power to the spike repeater, and after the timer has run its course, it restores power again.

Being able to rig it to a switch for e.g. caravans and migrant waves would be key, too... probably an entirely different cutoff point; a different mechanism in the link between the repeater and its power source. But with a bit of fudging, such a pressure plate could give solitary people enough time to get past a field of repeating spike traps.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 12:04:17 am »

or just set up a small number of traps randomly so that enemies will sometimes path over them, but sometimes go around.

Not a perfect solution, but traps are really only overpowered when you stack 100000 of them in a corridor 'o doom anyway so it's good enough for now.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 02:44:19 am »

...except that enemies with the TRAPAVOID token do so 100% of the time, which is why spike-traps-on-repeat came up in the first place.

Speaking of those: if the entry to your fortress has a turn in it, you could line the inner side of that curve with repeating spike traps, if it's a 3-wide corridor, and set that line to restricted traffic; just remember to disengage it when a caravan is going through. This will probably do nasty things to the pet population of the fortress as well; this may or may not be desirable.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Vorago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 11:37:15 pm »

I wish Trapavoid would get changed from the inside out to instead be, for example, TRAPAVOID75, for a 75% chance to not trigger a trap.  Any number, 0-100 for a %.  That way it isn't all or nothing.

Think it would be neat