Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin uniforms.  (Read 593 times)

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblin uniforms.
« on: November 03, 2009, 03:30:41 am »

[edited: I experimented a bit and figured out what worked]

I want to edit the goblins so they generate less of a logistics/ micromanagment headache with their equipment and clothing. The obvious solution would be to make them all naked sans armor, but I don't want that. Basically, I want goblins to wear simple, identical sets of equipment for easy management through the stocks menu.

I've deleted the USE_EVIL_ANIMALS and USE_ANIMAL_BYPRODUCTS tokens and that got rid of their ultra-valuable GCS socks and Ogre leather and whatnot, I gave them OUTDOOR_FARMING and deleted most of the clothing types they can wear and got goblins dressed in in identical sets of, nice narrow rope weed uniforms. The odd side effect is that now the 'leather' type armor gobbos in advent mode have is also made of rope weed too so they have cloth helms and gauntlets and everything. They still wear human and elf leather bracelets and stuff, so the trophy-taking tokens still work, apparently.

Also of note, adding the token METAL_PREF causes them to have steel armor and weapons.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 09:08:17 am by HAMMERMILL »

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin uniforms.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 01:48:40 am »

I hate to bump my own threads, but playing a bit of X-COM with the standard issue coverall-clad-rookie cannon fodder guys made me think of an even better solution to the goblin clothing issue.

Just condense all clothes, for all races, into a single item. Hands, upper, lower, legs, feet. Like a jumpsuit/ coveralls. +Rope Weed Clothing+ as a single item that represents all of the bits and peices of a typical civ's outfit. It would really shorten hauling and item sorting in the game.

How hard would it be to give that jumpsuit a 5/5 or 10/10 block rating like normal clothing?

Anybody try this before or can anybody give me some pointers on how to make clothing more efficent and easy to deal with? Untill the hauling aspect is improved I really think simplifying the traditional goblin soldier's inventory would save alot of heartache.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 01:56:00 am »

This would work, but maybe at the expense of realism.

To extend your idea...
If you did want to retain as much as you could about the clothes they usually wear, you could work out the total cost of everything they normal wear, and the armour protection, and make "Goblin Clothing" according to those values. It'd be like having a private bin for the personal effects of each goblin that died, except you couldn't melt the meltable items and selectively burn the non-silk items and so on.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 02:10:11 am »

This would work, but maybe at the expense of realism.

To extend your idea...
If you did want to retain as much as you could about the clothes they usually wear, you could work out the total cost of everything they normal wear, and the armour protection, and make "Goblin Clothing" according to those values. It'd be like having a private bin for the personal effects of each goblin that died, except you couldn't melt the meltable items and selectively burn the non-silk items and so on.

Well I modded my goblins to wearing nothing but Rope Weed clothing. Also, their "leather" armor is also made from rope weed. The snatchers and theives wear -Rope Weed Leggings- and 'Rope Weed Armor'.

Story-wise I suppose the goblins EAT the skins of animals and they fabricate 'armor' by gluing sheets of cloth together into hardened cloth armor, laminated or quilted armor, I guess.

So, they still have armor like they did, its just that everything they wear besides their iron armor is easily catalogued and tracked within my stocks menu.

The "jumpsuit" idea got me thinking that maybe EVERY civ should just have a multi-location set of clothing, rather then needing to track every single last sock a goblin or dorf or elf or humie dies wearing.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 02:48:38 am by HAMMERMILL »