Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: TO THE CORE!  (Read 2689 times)

DiscoPony

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TO THE CORE!
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 06:53:58 pm »

This seems to me like a perfect opportunity to study Elven intelligence and stress response.

Build a trade depot inside your magma vehicle and lock the next elf caravan in it, with detailed instructions on how to properly operate the machine of course.  In appreciation of their volunteerism and bravery, every tree on the map should be used towards making a giant wooden monument of their expedition  :)

Theodidactus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 07:25:05 pm »

Be sure to have a full menagerie of surface creatures along with you, so you can, in turn, test the effect on lava has on each of them.  Also, have representative examples of all the major surface materials (including horn, ivory, coral, etc.) so you can likewise conduct tests.

This is the typical thing my magma based fortresses are into, I usually build bombardment chambers similar to the kind of nonsense that went on in the manhattan project, vis, a 3x3 square that can be pumped full of magma and them emptied. Situating a dump square in the center means I can fill the room with hundreds of blocks of soap (which boil) barrels of snakeman venom (which boil), tons of booze (which boils) or elves (which do something scientific, many many many more tests are needed).

However, this expedition is going into VERY DEEP magma, so I'll need to bring these samples along, including blocks of pitchblende, bars of black bronze, and elves.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 07:36:18 pm »

Be sure to have a full menagerie of surface creatures along with you, so you can, in turn, test the effect on lava has on each of them.  Also, have representative examples of all the major surface materials (including horn, ivory, coral, etc.) so you can likewise conduct tests.

Only problem with that is that coral does not exist in the game atm even though dwarves have a preference for it, horn and ivory will be available in the next release. No idea if coral will actually exist in the next release, but I guess you could mod in something if you are willing to do so.  It is possible to get a bit of ivory or horn right now from merchants, but they are rare. You could get around the ivory and horn problem right now by collecting animals with ivory and collecting animals that have horns since only elk actually have the horn tag atm, but you could RP that the tag exists for stuff like deer or mountain goats.

Edit: Just realized something, maybe if you add the horn tag to animals which have the horn body part? Maybe that will make it more likely to show up.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 07:38:39 pm by smjjames »

CaptainNitpick

• Bay Watcher
  • [FINDS_FLAWS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 07:58:02 pm »

As for Crew Uniforms, you will be able to do that for the military very easily  in the next release, not sure about civillians though.

Unfortunately, the next release is going to break saves. He'd have to start over.

Theodidactus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 09:34:13 pm »

Have decided to build a subterranean mineshaft which will later be pumped full of magma, and launch the crew from there...this is more of a magma encased support module than a mole machine, but I can always play pretend.

Mission logo will be engraved into the floor of the command module. Since the engraving feature is random, my engravers artistic whims will determine the mission logo. It's in the hands of fate.

Pages: 1 [2]