Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Game is running without me  (Read 795 times)

Haus Party

• Bay Watcher
  • Haus cancels Write paper: Taken by Mood
    • View Profile
Game is running without me
« on: November 28, 2009, 12:59:16 am »

So I've been running an Adventurer around the combined fortress world to see what neat forts people have made. I've also done a few quests in Youthfulstones.

Now, returning victorious with the head of Zosto Ostrugustgast the Ettin, I find the whole town is moving around without me having hit any buttons. I'm having a tough time chasing down the mayor. I tried [T]ravelling out, but the map just flashes on screen for a split second before disappearing. Viewing my [Q]uests works find, though.

Can anyone tell me what's going on here?

Edit: So, I guess it thought I was repeatedly pressing >. I mean, there's no way that both keys necessary were stuck, so I'm not sure why it thought that. Discovered it while [l]ooking around, and suddenly seeing 16 z-levels beneath me. Still, I just had to press < and > a few times before the problem went away.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 01:46:18 am by Haus Party »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Game is running without me
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 12:04:35 pm »

If you're using a laptop, like me, you can have that happen by hitting the (FN) key and then the > key. Its the same with any button plus (FN). It basically causes it to repeatedly "press" that key over and over very quickly. I think it's caused by releasing the chosen key before you release the (FN) key. The easiest way to fix it is to minimize DF and then just click something random on the desk top. Once you restore DF the problem will be gone

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game is running without me
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 05:38:11 pm »

I have the same problem occasionally; I'm running DF on a G4 Mac desktop. I don't know what the cause of this is, but I have found that the only way to get rid of this is to quit the application altogether. You can try to save first, but the Esc key will take a very long time to have any effect. 

When it happened for me, I was right in the middle of slaughtering a dwarven Mountainhome... Didn't turn out so well.
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.