Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make megabeast more agressive  (Read 1415 times)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Make megabeast more agressive
« on: November 12, 2009, 01:15:30 am »

How do i increase the chance to get attacked by megabeast in dwarf fortress mode?
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Make megabeast more agressive
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 01:17:26 am »

You could try giving all of them LIKES_FIGHTING.  I think megabeast arrival is hardcoded, though, I wouldn't really know how to change it.
Also known as Zuhayr.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 01:19:19 am »

because so far only a giant leopard came and didnt do shit before leaving by himself and i dont even think its a semi-megabeast ( using relentless assault )
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 02:49:24 am »

I think you could increse their size for worldgen. I'm pretty sure more megabeasts = more encounters.
Meh.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 10:08:17 am »

Giant Leopards are just normal wildlife (unless that's been changed in Relentless Assault) and I've never heard of a semi-megabeast spawning on a map, anyway.
Like Halmie says, you need surviving megabeasts in the world to get one at your fortress, and the default worldgen settings don't finish untill 80% of Megabeasts are dead. You can quite easily change that, or you can make Megabeasts a lot tougher and more likely to survive that way.
According to the wiki, Megabeasts arrive at around 100 population, but I'm not really sure of the veracity of that myself. Since a set number are created at worldgen depending on how big the world is, you're best off trying to make as many of them survive as possible, and waiting for them.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 04:27:12 pm »

Relentless Assault does already have a megabeast boost, so there should be more than there are in vanilla (sometimes worldgen continues past 300 with it, meaning a certain percentage of megabeasts still live; that never happens for me unmodded Dwarf Fortress).

One other thing that reputedly helps is to increase the number and size of caves when genning the world.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 04:44:52 pm »

I made the game generate about 500 non-mountain cave and about 500 mountain cave, for a total of 1000 cave i believe at least each cave start with mega or semi am i right?

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 06:51:07 pm »

During WorldGen the game places a number of megabeasts that depends on the size of the world. It's four for a pocket world, I don't know the others offhand. Adding more types of Megabeast just makes some of them not spawn. Making more caves won't make you start with more, but it could well make them survive better by giving them a home in a more out of the way location.

The best way (that I know) to make sure you've got a good supply is to Design a New World With Parameters, and set the advanced parameters to "Percentage Beasts Dead for Stoppage:0 " and "Year To Begin Checking Megabeast Percentage: 2". That makes the world basically prehistoric in terms of monsters. Human towns are just basically wreckage. You won't have much to read in Legends, but you'll get to make history yourself, I guess. Plenty to do in Adventure mode, too