Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: v0.28.181.40d &40d# HFS King Bug? (Maybe Nemesis?)  (Read 582 times)

balath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
v0.28.181.40d &40d# HFS King Bug? (Maybe Nemesis?)
« on: November 17, 2009, 01:16:41 pm »

I'm getting a crash (dwarfort.exe has encountered and error and needs to close) reliably on the same day (somewhere in the middle of Slate) in the year 213 on my current fortress.  I've played past the date before on other fortresses, so I'm not suggesting that it's the culprit, but I'm looking for what else could cause a reliable crash like that.

Should I post the windows error report here?  It's extraordinarily long; perhaps only certain parts are relevant.  Please advise.

I'm playing vanilla DF in fortress mode.  I've changed some straightforward options in the init file, but they've been changed long enough that I can eliminate them from suspicion.  I added [SOIL_SAND] to Silty Clay to stop moody dwarves from dying so often, but that was a couple of weeks ago and I've made lots of glass items since then.

Other than that, no mods.

I'm using Windows XP SP3.

I guess now I have that excuse I needed to hunt for a smaller site.  6x6 is too big for my machine if I'm not careful about pathing.

Update:
I downloaded 40d13 and it runs through the event that is causing my crash.  The crash is apparently related to the HFS King.  It gave me the full screen message that he had arrived, but he didn't, somehow, arrive.  He's not on my (u)nit screen, my population is unchanged on the (z) menu, and he doesn't appear on my (n)oble screen.

I've read that HFS kings were bugged in previous versions, but I didn't read anywhere that it was causing a complete crash.

Update 2:
Similarly, in 40d16 I get the king message and he doesn't show up, but the migrants that are supposed to also show up, do.

If it's relevant, I've been getting no immigrants for several years (early mood deaths before modding in the sand), so it's been quite some time (years) since striking HFS.

Summary:
40d: Game crashes when HFS King message should show up.
40d13: I get the message, but no king or migrants.
40d16: I get the message and migrants, but no king.

Since posting, I've read the Nemesis sticky.  It's title didn't seem relative to me at the time, but after reading that thread, I feel this may be an instance of that bug.  My save file, however, has nearly 190 files and I don't get any error messages from the game when it crashes.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 11:30:07 am by balath »
What would you do if seven small, beared men marched into your home and started to dig out a city in your basement?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: v0.28.181.40d &40d# HFS King Bug?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 05:11:42 pm »

Anything revealing in your errorlog.txt?  If not, you should probably upload your save (the region folder in /data/save, along with your /objects/raws folder if you're using any mods) to the DF File Depot.

balath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: v0.28.181.40d &40d# HFS King Bug?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 05:44:23 pm »

I don't see anything suspicious in errorlog.txt, but here are the last few entries.  I'm guessing entries at the bottom of the file with higher ##s are newer:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The region and raw folders are here:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1604

Maybe someone can find a fix for this that I've missed.  I can live without the king, but I was still having fun in that fort.  Was preparing to breach the HFS.  I've considered playing through the couple of days until migrants in 40d16, then reverting to 40d if possible to keep playing.  I just haven't done it on the off-chance that I've missed the obvious fix that will let me get the King.

Edit:  I've also now done a fresh install of 40d, changing only the cat bug so it'd run, and I still get a crash.

Some other notes:  I'm playing with Temperature, Weather, and Economy off for framerate boosts.  That explains my, um, unconventional fortress design of wooden bins and barrels all around the magma pipe.  If you start it up without temperature off, things become !!things!! pretty quickly from fire snakes.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 06:12:02 pm by balath »
What would you do if seven small, beared men marched into your home and started to dig out a city in your basement?