Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Armor Reinforcement  (Read 970 times)

grendel

Armor Reinforcement
« on: November 10, 2006, 12:30:00 pm »

Dwarves should be able to reinforce existing armor pieces with certain materials to increase their protective value.

Examples: You might want to provide your dwarves with light-weight but protective armor, so you reinforce their leather jerkins with steel or adamantine plates to make them tougher.

Or you might add spikes of bone or metal studs to the fronts of your wooden shields to make them a little more useful in combat.

Reinforced armor should also be heavier than standard stuff, with the weight increasing with each reinforcement (and the exact weight of each reinforcement should depend on the material used).

[ November 10, 2006: Message edited by: grendel ]

Kjoery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armor Reinforcement
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 12:33:00 pm »

A full set of exceptional steel armour is powerful enough as it is; being able to reinforce it would be overkill.

[ November 10, 2006: Message edited by: Kjoery ]

grendel

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 12:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kjoery:
<STRONG>A full set of exceptional steel armour is powerful enough as it is; being able to reinforce it would be overkill.

[ November 10, 2006: Message edited by: Kjoery ]</STRONG>

Hey, it could be balanced. Monsters could always be made a little bit tougher, and enemy invasions could bring their own reinforced items to wage war on you. Also depending on how the weight of reinforcements is handled, that could be enough of a deterrent in many situations.    :)

[ November 10, 2006: Message edited by: grendel ]

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 01:24:00 pm »

Being able to reinforce most metal armor seems redundant.  Leather and Chainmail - sure.   Platemail - Just more weight.

qalnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 01:30:00 pm »

Perhaps a way to do this might be to, in the case of forged items, limit the symbollicly represented 'quality' of the item to a certain level at the time of production.

After that, however, a skilled forger might improve the quality of the item. The chance of success might be dependent upon the quality of the craftsman, and there could be a chance of damaging the armor in the case of failure.

I would say, however, that one should probably be required to expend some measure of the metal required for production to make the attempt -- otherwise it would dramatically reduce the amount of metal required to create full sets of high quality armor.

I'm not sure I think any of this is necessarily a good idea, by the way, I have mixed feelings on the subject, but I think this might be a way to do it that leaves the current range of quality in but allows for improvement.

NotQuiteSure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 02:32:00 pm »

Well,you should be able to use studding(perhaps even encrusting) to increase the armor's protectivness-it was commonly used in the middle-ages