Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Scrolling screen - Adventurer  (Read 646 times)

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Scrolling screen - Adventurer
« on: November 09, 2006, 03:46:00 pm »

Would it be possible to use the same function that's used to center the screen using the 'C' key to center the screen automatically when moving?

I mean, it seems kind of redundant to even have a 'C'enter button to center the screen, if it could be done automatically when moving when a movement key is pressed.

Perhaps this would slow down the game too much for every move, but perhaps code could be written for the screen to center automatically after x and y have changed by a certain amount (- or +) in any direction.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Scrolling screen - Adventurer
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 02:30:00 am »

I think it would be disorienting for a lot of people if it stayed centered on the player by default.  I wouldn't play that way, but an option seems reasonable.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scrolling screen - Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 07:24:00 pm »

I have noticed that the game already scrolls after a certain amount of change in the coordinates, but this actually gave me a headache.  The screen will suddenly "jump" and your eyes momentarily lose track of everything.  One minute your hero is in the bottom left corner, and the next he his in the top right.  I would seriously like to see an auto-center feature, at least as an option maybe in the init file sometime in the future.