Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40D11] Major river sourced from a corner drains early  (Read 1362 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
[40D11] Major river sourced from a corner drains early
« on: November 05, 2009, 03:11:20 pm »

The image in the spoiler shows a major river in dwarf mode sourced from the corner of the playing area.  Unfortunately the river isn't walled on the edge it's touching that isn't the north.  Causing the river to drain off the map early, and becoming very shallow to completely dry downriver.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The river is sourced from the north and is draining off immediately to the east instead of following the path. 

As appealing as culling the fish population sounds it does kinda reduce the coolness of the site.  Won't be as cool to have a large bridge crossing a sorta muddy valley as it is a fast moving river.  And no, I don't have an infinite magma source, so replacing the river with magma is out of the question. ;)

I did some searching and didn't find anything else mentioning this, but it's possible I put in the wrong search terms, so please ignore me if this is mentioned already.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40D11] Major river sourced from a corner drains early
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 03:20:47 pm »

If you did have magma, another solution would be to drop some on the edge to form obsidian walls, which would prevent the river from draining. Trying to construct walls the hard way would be a fairly monumental undertaking, though.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40D11] Major river sourced from a corner drains early (worked around)
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 03:34:59 pm »

I do have some, but it's only a pool I'm afraid, and there isn't enough to really make it over there.

After posting I did work around it myself somewhat undwarvenly using tweak by turning the part of the river touching the east end of the map into river source as well, but I imagine it would be annoying to somebody who doesn't know how/want to use those tools. EDIT: Kinda amusing watching as the sudden wall of water washed all the airdrown fish and indignant hippos downriver.

P.S. I did also consider walls before posting, but I couldn't build them close enough to the edge to be effective.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 03:42:54 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 03:57:04 pm »

If you're willing to use dtil, you could do it properly and just spawn tiles of 7/7 magma immediately above the river at those edges, then let it fall in and make obsidian. This would also have the advantage of not unnaturally increasing the river's flow rate.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 04:03:14 pm »

I didn't think of doing that, and I could have done that with the same tool I used to make the river sources (for each tile).  And I suppose that would have been more dwarvenly. But now I probably have the risk of spontaneous river explosion if I ever accidentally dig into it.  That sounds dangerous enough to make up for it. heh.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 09:17:06 pm »

Well, if they're now wall tiles, you shouldn't be able to dig into them, right?

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 12:20:39 am »

They're now river source tiles. Which means he has (at a rough estimate using the pic) about 100 river source tiles constantly spawning water.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 03:30:51 am »

No no, I meant in response to
If you're willing to use dtil, you could do it properly and just spawn tiles of 7/7 magma immediately above the river at those edges, then let it fall in and make obsidian. This would also have the advantage of not unnaturally increasing the river's flow rate.
I didn't think of doing that, and I could have done that with the same tool I used to make the river sources (for each tile).  And I suppose that would have been more dwarvenly. But now I probably have the risk of spontaneous river explosion if I ever accidentally dig into it.  That sounds dangerous enough to make up for it. heh.

River source + magma -> wall tile, i.e. tile at the edge of the map, so it can't be designated to be dug out again. So you can't accidentally dig into it.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 05:01:34 pm »

No no, I meant in response to

River source + magma -> wall tile, i.e. tile at the edge of the map, so it can't be designated to be dug out again. So you can't accidentally dig into it.

Ah, i misunderstood you. But he said earlier that he had made them into source tiles, and wasn't going to change them anymore.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 08:43:52 pm »

I was talking about since my fortress proper is so close to the river if I ever accidentally puncture the river while digging my fortress everything would flood almost instantly thanks to all the river source tiles. A river explosion. :)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 08:57:15 pm »

You say that like it's a bad thing...