Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ice Mod  (Read 5526 times)

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ice Mod
« on: July 27, 2009, 11:01:21 pm »

I dunno how common this is, but I've been embarking in Freezing environments and got tired of only being able to build towers and workshops from ice, so I added a few smelter reactions.  One makes an ice stone (for crafts and such) and the other makes an ice metal (for weapons/armor).  There's also a reaction for beds.  As each material melts at the temperature ice melts at (thus making it impossible to use magma workshops), each reaction creates coke, allowing for an indefinite amount of ice without charcoal. Thanks to Criptfiend for pointing out the fix to this problem.

Click here to download version 1.1

1.1 offers all colors of ice, provided you have the right ingredients.  Also upped the melting point of ice, as ice armor would melt as soon as a dwarf equipped it.  Additionally, colored ice is no longer considered "sharp," and does not have to be disabled to be used for constructions.

Simple reaction sheet
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

One inherent problem I've discovered in testing this is 1 hide root = 1 stack of hide root.  It doesn't matter how tall this stack is (I made 3 black ice with 3 100-tall stacks), the entire stack will be depleted.  Prepare to use everything in making colored ice.

Added to reaction_standard.txt

Added to matgloss_stone_layer.txt

Added to matgloss_metal.txt

« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 01:38:43 am by crash2455 »
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Mod
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 11:11:48 pm »

If you take out [FUEL] it will take up no fuel, so you don’t need to have that coke part.

Also I don’t think you can use or make anything that cannot be out of its container, so no dye, no lye ect.

LOSNR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 11:13:01 pm »

Extracts can't be used in reactions, so if you want to use plants, you'll have to use the plant instead of the dye.

The token for a plant would be [REAGENT:1:PLANT:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT:PLANT_NAME], where PLANT_NAME is the name of the plant's matgloss entry.

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 11:16:22 pm »

Ah, good to know.

Also, I wasn't sure if removing [FUEL] would fix that or just make it not happen at all.  Thanks for pointing that out.
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 11:22:48 pm »

Is there any limit to the number of colors you can specify? Could you keep adding reactions that would yield more and more colors through mixing? 1 red + 1 blue = purple. 2 blue + 1 red = aubergine, etc.

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 11:36:35 pm »

That would be a lot of reactions.  I mean, it's possible, but I don't want to see the smelter page get cluttered with, like, 256 different options.  That sounds pretty cool, though, so it might be something to work towards in the future, if I can make a plan to do it cleanly.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, there would only be 16 possible colors (if I decide to use black), so maybe I'll try to write it up tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 11:42:42 pm by crash2455 »

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 01:49:52 am »

That would be a lot of reactions.  I mean, it's possible, but I don't want to see the smelter page get cluttered with, like, 256 different options.  That sounds pretty cool, though, so it might be something to work towards in the future, if I can make a plan to do it cleanly.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, there would only be 16 possible colors (if I decide to use black), so maybe I'll try to write it up tomorrow.

You can put stuff in reaction_ice.txt and it'd work fine, I believe.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 10:05:41 am »

Yeah, I was just thinking that anyone that wanted to do mosaics or particularly artsy fortresses could get a full color palette. I'd scale the reactions to be linear in materials - 2 blue + 1 red + 3 ice, that way you always had a 1:1 relationship (or whatever) between plants and produced blocks.

Now if only Toady would let us sort block stockpiles by color...

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 10:13:48 am »

Yeah, I was just thinking that anyone that wanted to do mosaics or particularly artsy fortresses could get a full color palette. I'd scale the reactions to be linear in materials - 2 blue + 1 red + 3 ice, that way you always had a 1:1 relationship (or whatever) between plants and produced blocks.

Now if only Toady would let us sort block stockpiles by color...

In this case, where each colored ice block is actually another material, you can store separately by color.

Also, you can manually set the block types to store, so you can sorta sort by color.

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 11:44:21 pm »

New version posted.  Check first post for details.

Also, I tried genning a new world with a "reaction_ice.txt" and the game didn't like it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 11:47:51 pm by crash2455 »

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 12:42:39 am »

Sweet.

To address the plant stack issue, you could just increase the ice inputs. If a typical stack of plants is, say, 4 - then do 4 ice + dimple cup = 4 navy ice, etc.

I can see a giant ice fortress having a zillion legendary growers and a bunch of unskilled masons.

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 01:30:54 am »

Yeah, this might require more research.  The scaling approach is simple enough to perform, but it has the unfortunate problem of requiring a lot of material.  Who knows, though.

Edit:  It appears that blade weed and dimple cups appear in stacks of one or two, so it might not be so bad.  Just don't fertilize your fields.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 01:40:40 am by crash2455 »

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 02:02:29 am »

Yeah, this might require more research.  The scaling approach is simple enough to perform, but it has the unfortunate problem of requiring a lot of material.  Who knows, though.

Edit:  It appears that blade weed and dimple cups appear in stacks of one or two, so it might not be so bad.  Just don't fertilize your fields.

Depends on the skill of the grower. They'll start at 1-2 and go up to 5. Fertilizer adds on top of that.

Most of my plant stacks (all types) are 4 with legendary growers.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 12:46:04 am »

Say, crash, when you made the reaction_ice.txt file, you did put the file name and [OBJECT:REACTION] at the top of the text, right?  That might have been your problem there if you didn't.  Mind, you leave out ".txt" when typing the filename into the file.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember