Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions on Weapon and Damage in General  (Read 451 times)

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Questions on Weapon and Damage in General
« on: November 08, 2009, 03:14:28 pm »

I'm working on making a Gnome Fortress mod right now (playing as the puny cat-sized mountain gnomes) & have a few questions relating to weapons and damage:

First off does the damage done by a weapon a flat number regardless of who wields the weapon, or does the relative size and strength of the weapon user factor heavily into it? When a Large dagger says that it does 70 damage, does that mean 70 damage + Strength bonuses, etc. or 70% of the users strength is converted into slashing damage?

I only ask because it seems that a strong dwarf does better damage hitting enemies barehanded than he does by attacking them with a low damage weapon (like a crossbow in melee), even if he has equal skill in both wrestling and hammerdwarf skill.

I'm trying to come up with appropriate small weapons for gnomes, but I worry that if I just resize a Shortsword into a Gnome Sized Shortsword and don't bother to change the damage on it then it will result in a 1 foot tall gnome lopping off elephant heads with ease since there is no damage difference.

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Questions on Weapon and Damage in General
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 03:46:18 pm »

The wiki says, somewhat obtusely, that the weapon-damage is indeed additive, not multiplicative.

Go ahead and scale down your gnomish shortsword.

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Questions on Weapon and Damage in General
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 03:50:31 pm »

The wiki says, somewhat obtusely, that the weapon-damage is indeed additive, not multiplicative.

Go ahead and scale down your gnomish shortsword.

Alright, does this mean that I should give Gnome weapons a low damage threshold (10-70 perhaps) if I don't want anybody but champion gnome warriors to be able to take on giant threatening beasts (like 1 goblin)?