Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d16] Magma pipe in glacier region doesn't show up when found  (Read 917 times)

Thomas Winwood

• Bay Watcher
  • Monomath
    • View Profile
[40d16] Magma pipe in glacier region doesn't show up when found
« on: November 05, 2009, 09:03:17 am »

I decided to do something slightly different and probably utterly crazy, and to do this I'm intending to embark on a glacier with a magma pipe. I found the perfect spot, made a copy of the map and embarked with a skeleton crew to scout it out.

The weirdness begins when I dig straight down to find the magma - the dwarf digs down a couple of levels and I get the message "You have found a magma pipe". I am shown a beautiful flat obsidian cavern floor, which I surmise to be a cap on the magma pipe itself. However, the magma pipe itself doesn't appear on the levels below the cap, and my dwarf refuses to dig further than one level into the cap itself, complaining of warm rock.

I searched the forum before deciding to post, and found this thread which, reading between the lines, seems to describe the same problem. This indicates that Toady knows about the problem, but I'm not certain that it's as he describes it in bug 636; the warm rock indicates the magma pipe is PRESENT, I just can't get at it, and it doesn't show up when I get the discovery message (since what is revealed is the cavern above it).

I can share the map itself if anyone wants it, or if it's useful for a testcase or whatever.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 09:09:52 am by Thomas Winwood »
U+203C DOUBLE EXCLAMATION MARK (‼) is the Dwarf Fortress symbol for fire, not two instances of U+0021 EXCLAMATION MARK (!!).

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: [40d16] Magma pipe in glacier region doesn't show up when found
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 09:34:13 am »

The "warm rock" warning isn't permanent - just redesignate the staircase and he'll start digging again.

Do be warned, though, that if there was no empty space below the obsidian cap, the magma pipe will likely start refilling into said space.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Thomas Winwood

• Bay Watcher
  • Monomath
    • View Profile
Re: [40d16] Magma pipe in glacier region doesn't show up when found
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 02:13:46 pm »

I tried two things. First, I tried leaving my original stack of up/down staircase designations intact and designating a single downward staircase. The dwarf dug the single downward staircase, complained of warm rock and left; I can't get him to go back down and keep digging, so I'm stuck.

If I remove my stack of up/down designations and add a new stack, nothing gets dug at all.

UPDATE: Nevermind, found the problem (a lack of a way to get back to the surface from the tunnel straight down caused the dwarf not to want to venture downwards). I dug a stairway downwards to the level of the cavern and tunnelled into it from the side, and that gave the miners a way to get in and keep digging, where I uncovered the magma pipe itself.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 02:32:14 pm by Thomas Winwood »
U+203C DOUBLE EXCLAMATION MARK (‼) is the Dwarf Fortress symbol for fire, not two instances of U+0021 EXCLAMATION MARK (!!).