Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vantage (survival game)  (Read 2185 times)

JustOnePixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vantage (survival game)
« on: November 10, 2009, 10:00:31 am »

I stumbled on this game called Vantage, and so far it looks pretty sweet.  The interface is cumbersome, and the controls are a little tough, but it's got a lot of different mechanics, and I've only cracked the surface.  It also has some powerful editing tools for making your own content/worlds.  Check it out at http://crystaldragon.com.  It's worth a look.
Tessie! 'nuf said' McGreevy shouted,
we're not here to mess around!
Boston, you know we love you madly,
hear the crowd roar to your sound!
Don't blame us if we ever doubt ya, you know we couldn't live without ya!
RED SOX!  You are the only, only, only!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vantage (survival game)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 10:08:41 am »

Going to have a look at it tonight when I'm home as this style of game always interests me but that site is not very friendly. Side links broken and game booklet doesn't know what page it is on. Hopefully that isn't an indication of the quality of the game but can't say it's raised my expectations.

Looks a little like stranded looking at the screen shots, does it have the RSI problem that game does?

I'll update after I try it this evening :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 10:23:06 am »

I remember a thread about this a while ago?

Does it have dinosaurs in it yet?  That was the big turn-off for me, nothing to eat me alive.
Shoes...

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 10:26:34 am »

As long as those bears in the screenshots (they are bears right?) eat you alive then we don't need dinosaurs do we? or do we?
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 12:04:43 pm »

What sort of question is "We don't need dinosaurs if there are bears, do we?" That's like saying we don't need 40 types of gibbons in DF.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 12:41:26 pm »

I tried this not too long ago. Good concept, but it's got a looong way to go before it's really usable. As is, it's similar to stranded II, just with larger world and almost no stuff to do.

I've only seen two living things, some fish and a bunch of very tranquil bears that die instantly if you prod them with a pointy stick. And no, they don't eat you. Graphics were pretty sluggish on my machine, and the LOD system meant I had trees suddenly popping up right next to me as I was walking. The interface had some issues too, with windows and actions that intermittently stop working and have to be reopened.

Give it a year or two and it could become a good survival sim. It isn't right now though.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 03:50:32 pm »

At a very early development stage it looks like. Still, it looks ambitious - a lot more stuff to do in the plans from what the list of skills says, compared to the Stranded games

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 03:54:21 pm »

Can it be modded? I mean, new creatures added and current tweaked?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 04:05:24 pm »

Actually, according to the site, its been worked on for 10 years, and is at version 1.0. Installing it now to see how it works.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 08:36:33 pm »

Oh, how pretty!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 08:42:38 pm »

Intriguing, but ran out of stuff to do even faster than Stranded.
Too little variation on the resources and tools break too easy, not much to craft at all and rather tedious. Also; no, wood does not break stone and those cuddly teddy bears are just walking meatballs.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 09:23:47 pm »

Hmm, disappointing then if this is all they got out of 10 years work. Some day someone will make a truly good and diverse survival game that doesn't claim shooting everything in sight is the best tactic..

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 01:07:21 am »

Sounds like 10 years of engine design, 6 months of vaguely pondering the crafting system, and a couple weeks on wild animal AI.  In other words:  Cool engine, now make something with it...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 07:35:03 pm »

I agree to all of you.
I could disagree, but I won't, so I'm agreeing with you.

Anyway, I tried this like 2 months ago and it was in a beta or something.
Got surprised now I've entered the site and it says "COMPLETE", but..
I don't see any new features since the beta, and it appears there are only Bears and they still do the same thing as ever: 'walk around as meatballs'

He should implement building, and I remember not liking the interface and it's resolutions..
I'm also another one waiting for a great survival game.
For now I'm just trying to survive in real life.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.