Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vaults?  (Read 4612 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Vaults?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 10:21:49 pm »

Actually I have often thought of a "Vault" stockpile, a catch all for any item over a certain value.. Say any Masterwork piece, weather furniture, wepon, etc, would go in a "vault" stockpile. And obviouslly yould adjust the settings like other stockpiles, so limiting it to just certain items or values, say '1000"dwarf bucks or 10,000 dwarfbucks.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2009, 02:34:58 am »

You can do that with custom stockpiles, except for limiting by dwarfbuck value.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2009, 03:01:01 am »

I can't find it now, but wasn't there a clever trick for preserving artifact gear through abandonment?  Something like a one-tile room that you trick your ultra-geared champion into, kill him, and then seal the room up in such a way that an adventurer can get to it to loot his corpse?  Never tried it myself, since I feel uncomfortable using artifact gear as an adventurer, so I just fill a stockpile with eight copies of masterwork stuff and then I've got a good chance of finding at least a few of them in the ruins.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2009, 10:09:45 am »

My vaults are typically rooms with a stockpile set to accept everything artifact(all other stockpiles don't accept artifacts) locked with an iron, steel, or adamantine door, behind a raising drawbridge with all the surrounding rock, including a z-level above and below, removed and replaced by solid iron or steel walls.  War dogs are chained up outside.

The levers to open the vault are in the treasurer's office.

I would like to see a kobold get into THAT! (yes I had a kobold steal an artifact unnoticed from a typical locked-door vault in the past, artifact iron sword to boot.)

As for keeping an artifact weapon or armor available after abandon, the only way I noticed so far is to give the artifact to a champion, then abandon and fight the champion for the weapon when you find the group in adventure mode.  If you can it would be best to somehow cripple him to ease the process of relieving him of your artifact before abandoning, but that is a risky prospect.

Also it used to be that weaponmasters wouldn't get much wrestling skill and you could just suddenly grab onto the item and wrestle it out of their possession, without much difficulty.  But my weaponmasters seem to gain wrestling skill at about the same rate as their weapon skill now, so I don't think it would work as well anymore. 

But it might still help against an artifact weapon wielding weaponmaster. Grab his weapon with an off hand so he can't Ginsu you with it and hope for the best.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2009, 01:20:15 pm »

You can store stuff for adventurers just by putting everything into a room and locking the door.

Not exactly sure the limits of it, I don't think locking the front door of the fortress will cause everything to be left untouched, but stuff in smaller, dead-end rooms behind locked doors doesn't get moved around.

So, thats kind of like cracking the vault full of treasures since you have to kick down the doors or pick the locks to access them. Enable the fortress traps and trap the entrance to the locked room if you feel like sending waves of human lashers down there.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2009, 04:09:05 pm »

Note that if you die while using an artifact in adventure mode, you can simply go back to the fort with the next adventurer to get it back - for some reason they always return to the fort.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2009, 05:19:20 am »

You can store stuff for adventurers just by putting everything into a room and locking the door.

Not exactly sure the limits of it, I don't think locking the front door of the fortress will cause everything to be left untouched, but stuff in smaller, dead-end rooms behind locked doors doesn't get moved around.

So, thats kind of like cracking the vault full of treasures since you have to kick down the doors or pick the locks to access them. Enable the fortress traps and trap the entrance to the locked room if you feel like sending waves of human lashers down there.

Despite what the init file would have you believe, traps and pressure plates do not work in adventure mode.

But it's good to know you don't always have to weigh your adamantine down with lead bars...
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2009, 06:37:55 am »

I thought traps do but plates don't? I remember that getting stuck in a cage trap put you in an unwinnable position?
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2009, 12:12:08 pm »

I just make stockpile with everything enabled that only allows artifact quality.

Maze/Traps/Docrated room/chained drago guard depending on mood and fortress style

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2009, 03:32:03 pm »

Excellent. I'll have to put valuable walls and traps up around the stockpile, then.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2009, 11:00:58 pm »

Note that you can sell your old artifacts if you find one on a reclaim.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 [2]