Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Luring the King  (Read 953 times)

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Luring the King
« on: October 31, 2009, 08:30:21 pm »

The map I embarked on has some HFS, but I've been avoiding it on purpose. I want to draw the king to my fort through wealth and population first.

The wiki reads that I need to first have a dutchy, a high architecture value, high road value, and offerings to the king. I've got the first two covered.

I was wondering about the roads and offerings, though. How big of an offering needs to be given? Does it need to be of a particular ratio to your wealth? And about the roads- do they have to be roads going anywhere, to the edge of the map, or can the just be roads going wherever?

Also, to spur immigration to hit my population cap, is it true that giving the dwarven caravan a ridiculous profit and buying a ton of stuff influential to the immigrant waves?

Lastly, if my king dies, say his throne sitting over the top of the magma pipe "accidentally" falls in. Will a new king be elected?

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Luring the King
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 09:05:57 pm »

Just build roads as floors in your sand layers. Just keeping laying down roads untill he shows up.

I think the offering limit is something like 7,500 dorfbucks. Its not hard.

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 10:11:24 pm »

If your king ever dies, you will never get a new one. Same for Queen Consort, Trade Liason and the Royal Advisor.

The most you can do is give the king's son (if he has any) the custom profession "crown prince" and change it upon death of the king (who is not immune to old age, btw) to "king" and give him the throne room and pretend, clinging to the frail strands of joy you have left in your life. Pretend that your failure was acceptable. Pretend that you have not just lead an imaginary civilisation to ruin with no leadership due to your carelessness.
If you can't do that, then run from your responsibilities. Delete the save file. Say to yourself that they are not real dwarves, with real lives and feelings. They are 1s and 0s. Nothing else! You are not crushing dreams, tearing apart families, corrupting the honour of your military. What do you think happens when you delete that file? All HFS are released at once upon the world. All. At once.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 12:30:10 am »

The roads just have to be roads. I tend to make them out of precious metals, then deconstruct them the instant he hits the map.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

docawesome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 07:15:24 am »

Lastly, if my king dies, say his throne sitting over the top of the magma pipe "accidentally" falls in. Will a new king be elected?

you don't vote for a king.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 07:17:09 am »

Then explain how the next monarch gets set up when the current king/queen has no living heirs.

docawesome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 07:22:29 am »

Then explain how the next monarch gets set up when the current king/queen has no living heirs.

he takes it by force?
Or you could have just laughed at my awesome Monty Python joke.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 08:01:11 am »

I was wondering about the roads and offerings, though. How big of an offering needs to be given? Does it need to be of a particular ratio to your wealth? And about the roads- do they have to be roads going anywhere, to the edge of the map, or can the just be roads going wherever?

Do you have a Duchy?  Then on your (n)obles screen you should see "The Incoming King".  Select that and it'll show you the requirements.

The offering is a pittance, really, but only stuff you offer *after* you become a Duchy counts.  (Annoying the time I offered 100,000 or so dwarfbucks to the caravan only to find it didn't count).

Road value tends to be annoying only because there's absolutely no reason to ever make paved roads when bridges are 100% better.  The roads don't need to go anywhere, they just need to exist.

Also, to spur immigration to hit my population cap, is it true that giving the dwarven caravan a ridiculous profit and buying a ton of stuff influential to the immigrant waves?

Immigrant is derived from your created wealth, but it's independent of how you trade with the caravan.  Just make a lot of valuable stuff, and ensure the caravan lives.

Overspeculated won this, but I'm curious -- why would you go through the trouble of getting a King if you were just planning on killing him?
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 04:22:33 pm »

If your king ever dies, you will never get a new one. Same for Queen Consort, Trade Liason and the Royal Advisor.

From what I've observed, the Trade Liaison and Royal Advisor are always the same dwarf - the liaison becomes the advisor once the monarch arrives at your fort. Thus, it makes a lot more sense that you don't get a dwarven liaison after the king arrives because (s)he is now living at your fortress.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 02:22:37 am »

Overspeculated won this, but I'm curious -- why would you go through the trouble of getting a King if you were just planning on killing him?
Well, I was constructing a throne over a magma pipe connected to the edge only by a bridge simply because it was awesome, but when I sent masons to the edge of the bridge to construct a floor tile island to place the throne on, they all fell in and died.

I was concerned that if I managed to build the island in the middle of the pipe that operating the bridge would bork up the king's pathfinding and he'd find his way into the magma. If kings were replaceable, I wouldn't worry about it, but now that I know they're a one-time deal, I'll probably just make a throne peninsula reaching over the top of the magma pipe.

Also, turns out I'm silly and only still have a barony. Oh well, more diligence!

As for everything else, thanks for the info, everyone! :)

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 10:31:41 am »

Bridges can only support other bridges.

To have a floating island over your magma, allow me to recommend a support, although it'll take some work:

1) Build a peninsula.
2) Place a support on the peninsula.
3) On the z-level above, build a floor that touches both the support and something (wall, stair, etc) on the "mainland".
4) Remove the bits of the peninsula from #1 that you don't like, replacing with a bridge.

Yeah, it'll look crappy in Visual Fortress, but it'll look fine in the game.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 01:14:02 am »

That's a wonderful idea! So that would be like suspending the throne platform from the ceiling. If there's already natural floor on the Z-level above the support, will I need to channel it out and construct the floor, or will the dwarves attach it to the ceiling intuitively?

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 01:36:27 am »

Supports give support like any other construction, except they only do it vertically.  So natural floor is fine.