Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves won't chop trees  (Read 24725 times)

Heatwizard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarves won't chop trees
« on: November 01, 2009, 12:41:01 pm »

I just started, so I'm still stumbling though the controls and the nuances of bossing dwarves around. I start a fortress. I set some trees to be cut down, but no one works on that. They do everything else just fine, the digging and the building, but now I have no wood and I can't get more because whoever has the axe(I don't even know who) won't cut the damn trees down. Argh. Help please?

DaPatman

• Bay Watcher
  • GoL FTW!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves won't chop trees
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 12:50:11 pm »

Give everyone the woodcutter labor. If this doesn't work, check that your dwarves are allowed to go outside in the orders menu.
I don't want to set the world on fire
Oh wait, I do.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 01:34:25 pm »

You should be able to find your axe. Go to [z] and then to stocks. Scroll down until you find weapons. Hit Tab to expand the list. Then when you highlight your axe use z to zoom to the location. You might have to hit [k] to see the items in the tile.

It might be carried by a dwarf, in which case you can find it by using [v] and then [i ] to look at the dwarf's inventory. If there is more than one dwarf on the tile, use [v] to look at creatures and then ... I forget which button but it's the one on the lower right of the screen that says "toggle" or "switch".
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Auldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 01:39:11 pm »

I think it's v again to switch to the next unit on the tile.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 02:57:26 pm »

whoever has the axe(I don't even know who)

The learning curve is steep, no doubt, and DF is one of the less "intuitive" interfaces I've ever fought past.  But it's worth it.  ;)

Take a deep breath, grab a beverage of your choice, and here we go...

Hit <z>, which will bring up several submenus - you want "Stocks" ((using direction keys to scroll and shift over, for this screen at least - others use +/-  ::) ) .  If you don't have more than 10 weapons (doubtful at this point?), you can go down toward the bottom of the first screen and look at your weapons.  Hit <tab> to see the individual items in detail - highlight the axe, and hit <z> to zoom to that location - you've found your dwarf.  But you're in the wrong view (currently <k>, which loo<k>s at items and terrain).

Remember the location, get out of that view by hitting the <spacebar>, and hit <v> to <v>iew dwarfs.  Hover over that one (hit <v> multiple times if there is more than one unit on that tile), and then hit < i>nventory - you can scroll here using +/-.  The axe should be visible there somewhere.

Now...

In that same <v>iew, hit <p>references, <l>abors - again use +/- and highlight "woodcutting" (fortunately just a couple down from the starting point), and hit <Enter> to select it.

NOW that dwarf will (well, "should") go cut your trees.

The wiki (link in header above this subforum) can be of GREAT help when starting out, and answer questions you don't even know to ask yet - try "tree", "wood", axe, and "stocks" to start, and surf out from there.   8)

Heatwizard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 03:46:52 pm »

whoever has the axe(I don't even know who)

The learning curve is steep, no doubt, and DF is one of the less "intuitive" interfaces I've ever fought past.  But it's worth it.  ;)

Take a deep breath, grab a beverage of your choice, and here we go...

Hit <z>, which will bring up several submenus - you want "Stocks" ((using direction keys to scroll and shift over, for this screen at least - others use +/-  ::) ) .  If you don't have more than 10 weapons (doubtful at this point?), you can go down toward the bottom of the first screen and look at your weapons.  Hit <tab> to see the individual items in detail - highlight the axe, and hit <z> to zoom to that location - you've found your dwarf.  But you're in the wrong view (currently <k>, which loo<k>s at items and terrain).

Remember the location, get out of that view by hitting the <spacebar>, and hit <v> to <v>iew dwarfs.  Hover over that one (hit <v> multiple times if there is more than one unit on that tile), and then hit < i>nventory - you can scroll here using +/-.  The axe should be visible there somewhere.

Now...

In that same <v>iew, hit <p>references, <l>abors - again use +/- and highlight "woodcutting" (fortunately just a couple down from the starting point), and hit <Enter> to select it.

NOW that dwarf will (well, "should") go cut your trees.

The wiki (link in header above this subforum) can be of GREAT help when starting out, and answer questions you don't even know to ask yet - try "tree", "wood", axe, and "stocks" to start, and surf out from there.   8)
SUCCESS. I can taste the wood already.
...Um. Not that...never mind.

Thank you much, sirs. You hath been a great assistance to this burgeoning newbie.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 06:33:04 pm »

np. 

(Ewwwwww....  :P )

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 06:56:34 pm »

The interface is a jungle at first, but after a while you stop even looking at it because the sequences of key shortcuts come so quickly.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.