Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: wait a moment, we're still unloading...oh, look at the time! sorry, we're leavin  (Read 1298 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile

the dwarven merchants arrived with 6 wagons, or something like that, to my 20 dwarves fort, they started unpacking and took all the season doing it, then left before i could trade anything

my game is heavily moded, my dwarves dont eat or drink or sleep, and are faster than a cheeta with a chilli pepper shoved on it's backhole, i've also aded some plants and animals and stuff

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe there was a glacially slow wagon? Those crop up from time to time and are damn annoying.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I've seen this too.  Assuming of course that your problem is a snail-slow wagon like mine.

There's no way of telling what's causing it because you don't have time to inspect the wagon.  I suspect either it's filled to the brim with metal bars, armor, metal crafts, and other things that make it way several metric tons (dwarves move really slow like this if they're carrying a bin full of metal bars or metal armor, or in some amusing cases a cage with about 60 animals inside), or maybe it was attacked and an enemy damaged a wheel - not sure if those kind of logistics apply to wagons, but as far as I know they're technically considered creatures.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 11:48:05 am by KenboCalrissian »
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

snaggles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did you happen to mod how much the donkeys/wagons can carry? Six wagons carrying 600,000 metric tons of cats each tend to move very, very, slow, and when/if they actually reach the depot, I imagine that it'll take longer than normal to unpack.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile

ok, so the next wagon should be fine, right? i didn't mod donkeys, but i had ordered some pigs, chicken and cows, are they *that* heavy?

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What priority was the animal order?  Did you order anything else?

Awesome avatar, by the way :D
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

ok, so the next wagon should be fine, right? i didn't mod donkeys, but i had ordered some pigs, chicken and cows, are they *that* heavy?

Naw, it's not your fault.  I think the most recent hypothesis is that the game correctly allocates the total weight the caravan can carry, but fails to spread weight evenly throughout the caravan, so one wagon ends up with most of the heavy crap.

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This problem can be caused by having more than one depot.
A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

FlyingBishop

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

It does seem to do with multiple depots. I've had this problem two fortresses in a row. I build a depot on the surface in front of the entrance to my fort, then I build one underground, make sure it's accessible, and get rid of the first. They come in, try for less than 1/4 of early season to get in, then leave before mid even arrives.

BADBL00D

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I've had this happen too, with only one depot.

"Wait unloading".

As soon as unloaded: reload / leave.

No warning messages such as "preparing to leave" or "leaving soon", etc.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I only had one depot in my case, too.  Also, it happened the year before with the humans, but it was with a mule that time and they actually made it to the depot in time for me to trade (barely).
Do it.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It certainly would be nice if the caravans did better load-balancing. Right now they seem to consistently load all of the pack animals first, with the net result that the wagons leave empty and the poor pack animals have to slowly lug thousands of dwarfpounds of weight off the map.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

I'm not convinced that slow wagons are a result of poor load distribution - rather, I believe they are a byproduct of the same bug which produces fast wagons. In particular, I believe this because when wagons take forever to reach the depot, those same wagons also take forever to leave the map, even if I buy all of the heavy goods from them.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 04:19:27 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

FlyingBishop

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I think we're conflating two separate issues: one is wagons taking forever to get into the fortress, which makes sense if they don't have time to physically unload, that they wouldnt get in.

The other (what I'm seeing) is that something seems to be preventing wagons from entering the depot, and there seems to be a very short timeout after which they leave without trading. In the fortresses I'm referring to, both the Humans and Dwarves arrived and left in early summer/fall without actually trading, and without displaying a warning.

In the heavy case (maybe I'm mistaken) it's late fall/summer by the time wagon reaches the depot, so they naturally pack up and leave.