Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Basic Modding Help:Creature not appearing  (Read 537 times)

Foehamster

• Bay Watcher
  • Zig Frostrushes The Speachless Eater of Saints
    • View Profile
Basic Modding Help:Creature not appearing
« on: October 26, 2009, 04:42:37 pm »

So I'm mostly trying to learn how to mod and experiment with different mechanics, but I'm having some problems.

So I've been trying to add two creatures one is a vermin based on the rat (gonna add extracts to it later, but it doesn't appear with minimal modification) the second is just a larger, more expensive mule just to play around with domestic animals.  Neither creature appears at all.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 04:45:35 pm by Foehamster »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Basic Modding Help:Creature not appearing
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 04:56:07 pm »

Try changing the file name to creature_mymod_insects, along with the identifier at the top of the file. I'm pretty sure that DF doesn't actually use files that don't start with the appropriate prefix.

(Size 30?  :o )
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 05:02:40 pm »

First, check that the file name is the same as that top line (ignoring the .txt in the filename).

Second, change both of those.  The game organizes the files alphabetically, and it seems to process the different object types in that order.  I'm not entirely sure how it works, but you want to have all the creature entry files come one after the other - you don't want several other types of object files (in your case, descriptor, entity, item, language, & matgloss) between the default creature files and your modded creature file.  By the time it gets to it, it sort of thinks it's already done with creatures, I think.  Not exactly how it works by a longshot, but that's a good way to think about it.

So basically, yes, your file should have the same prefix as the default files that have that object type in them - though I've been given to understand it works alphabetically.

Oh, and make sure you make a new world, in case you hadn't already done that.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 05:04:37 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 05:07:35 pm »

The second one may not be working because the title ought to be in all caps.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Foehamster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 05:09:05 pm »

Try changing the file name to creature_mymod_insects, along with the identifier at the top of the file. I'm pretty sure that DF doesn't actually use files that don't start with the appropriate prefix.

(Size 30?  :o )
Thanks! That fixed it. Is the little creature_whatever.txt tip in the wiki? It should be.

As for the size 30..I'm just playing around and sometimes a 7 story horse can be interesting.  ;D

Foehamster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 05:10:11 pm »

The second one may not be working because the title ought to be in all caps.
That doesn't seem to be a problem, I'll fix it for consistency though.