Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Games based on exploration?  (Read 3516 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games based on exploration?
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 10:06:33 am »

but a lot of folks view RPG Maker games with disdain sometimes, even when something really good is made with it!

This is mostly because we've yet to come across something good made with it ;) but I'll give it a go, maybe it'll be the first one.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 11:19:26 am »

Enjoying Yume Nikki means having a love of excellent atmosphere, and gameplay that takes back seat to it. I find it to be more of an interactive hallucinogen, to be honest. Bad Trip In a Box, if you will.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 11:21:22 am »

There's the Uncharted Waters and Uncharted Waters 2 games (also consider the SNES versions, for the different art style), which have somewhat of a focus on exploration (besides the storyline of the character you choose). I recall one of the selectable characters in UW2 even being a cartographer and you earning money for reporting discoveries.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 01:00:32 pm »

Knytt and Knytt stories fall into this. I haven't finished knytt yet, but you can count the enemies in that game on two hands. Not sure about knytt stories though, not that I heard anything bad about it, but I haven't played it yet.

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2009, 03:32:45 pm »

Try Spelunky (if you don't mind bad graphics and ridiculous difficulty) It's a free side-scrolling platformer thing. Something between La Mulana ond Nethack.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2009, 05:20:32 pm »

This is mostly because we've yet to come across something good made with it ...

Try playing "The Way", it's mostly stock graphics and sounds, but it's got a awesome storyling that will make you eat those words.
http://www.crestfallen.us/download.html

EDIT the way isn't really an exploration game, but there are tons of hidden secrets and plot dividers.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2009, 01:25:52 pm »

http://jayisgames.com/cgdc6/?gameID=9 I just played this through and it's rather short but good - love the graphical style

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 02:29:08 pm »

Yeah, just played that small worlds too..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2009, 02:32:25 pm »

If you want a different sense of "exploration", you might look at "Vangers: One for the road", a game by K-D Labs (makers of Perimeter, among other things). It's got the weirdest world you've ever seen in any game. It took me several hours to realize the little crawling things I was squashing on the ground were currency. There is money crawling around on the ground. That game's insane, and the visual design doesn't help.
You can read about it here, if you want. As for finding it...  it's pretty old, and initially russian, so you'll hardly find it in stores.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Koja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2009, 07:16:33 pm »

jayisgames just had their Casual Game Design Competition...

The theme was "Exploration".
~~<BR>"Zombie fish have the added benefit of not needing to breath. Thus they can wade out of the water with little to fear but bigger zombie fish" -Willfor

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2009, 05:05:54 pm »

Try Spelunky (if you don't mind bad graphics and ridiculous difficulty) It's a free side-scrolling platformer thing. Something between La Mulana ond Nethack.
bad graphics? The graphics are superb, my good sir. Everything looks good together, and everything properly represents what it means to. I don't know how you could say it has bad graphics!

PS: Cave Story is an exploration game but story kind of takes precedence over that. Pixels earlier game, ikachan, is more exploration heavy (in fact, it barely tells you where you're supposed to go, so you have to explore to get there! And not in a bad "this game has no direction!" way, but in a "wow i'm exploring!" kinda way) but it's pretty short. Still a great game though.
Pages: 1 [2]