Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Realism versus Practicality (Some creature modifications)  (Read 796 times)

Tinker Thinker

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRESSES_BUTTONS:RED]
    • View Profile
Realism versus Practicality (Some creature modifications)
« on: October 22, 2009, 03:18:24 pm »

Essentially, I find it rather ridiculous to have dogs living underground. They just don't do that if they can help it.

So, I want to replace them with giant beetles. Which are ridiculous, I know. Not the only modification, and I may have more questions later. . .

Anyhow, the species I plan to use (Lucanus Cervus) as the model, are a group of wood-eaters that seem to be Crepuscular. The thing is, Dwarves are Diurnal. Would it be problematic for the hunters and soldiers to have Hunting Beetles and War Beetles that are out of synch?
Does anyone else find my avatar looks crooked?

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Realism versus Practicality (Some creature modifications)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 03:36:25 pm »

Since these are trained/bred animals, do you not find it likely that dwarves would have bred them to be diurnal as well?

I mean, we're already assuming that they can be trained, and that they can be trained for war or for hunting, so it doesn't seem like that much of a leap...
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 04:39:40 pm »

Generally, domesticated animals don't sleep in fortress mode.  So that particular issue shouldn't be a problem.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 04:48:16 pm »

Your finding the fact that dogs being underground is ridiculous next to elves, goblins and unicorns, not to mention mermaids?
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 05:46:10 pm »

Your finding the fact that dogs being underground is ridiculous next to elves, goblins and unicorns, not to mention mermaids?
I find it ridiculous that there are no war unicorns  ;D

As for thread idea: I'm totally for. Although "dwarf outposts" (that is the part of fort on the upper world) should have dogs and stables and etc. Why? Because dogs are very useful as guards and you wouldn't bring a horse underground (horses are more ridiculous). 

Tinker Thinker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 02:48:07 pm »

My main beef with dogs is that they are worthy of the [mundane] tag, and are totally out of their element.

Anyhow, I've been having. . . problems.
No doubt I've missed something obvious, but here's the basic beetle construction. What I'm looking for is why they suffocate on arrival. I suppose the code is somewhat messy. . .

In body_default.txt:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In creature_domestic:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Now, when I genned this world they didn't have throats. I've been reclaiming to test various changes. I'm not entirely sure this works.

I suppose this is also your opportunity to make change suggestions. I've found making an insect to be rather tricky, as the tags seem to assume mammal.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 07:02:26 pm by Tinker Thinker »

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 07:37:17 am »

horses, donkeys and mules are still used in deep mines in some parts of the world today, cant see why the dwarves couldnt sort out something similar.  Domestic animals, like humans are amazingly adaptable as long as they have access to food and water.  (Just look at battery chickens).

If you are interested though, the legendary lands mod has a few domestic beetles. 
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Tinker Thinker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 12:50:21 pm »

Well, I feel like a fool. HEAD instead of BASIC_HEAD in the body.