Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Full barrel in funiture stockpile  (Read 538 times)

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d] Full barrel in funiture stockpile
« on: October 29, 2009, 10:25:02 pm »

That's not right, is it? Specifically the stockpile is set to accept only (core quality) masterwork furniture, which this barrel is, but it's also full of sweet pods. I'm fairly certain there was never a food stockpile there, so either someone brought it to the furni stockpile with the pods already in it, or put the sweet pods in it while it was there. In any case I just saw a dorf put another stack of pods in. There may have been a barrel shortage at one point not too long ago, if that's relevant.
Akur Akir Akam!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Full barrel in funiture stockpile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 10:47:46 pm »

They put the sweet pods in it while it was already there. The way this works is:

* Food stockpile's barrels are all full, but another empty barrel is available.
 * Empty barrel is marked as belonging to the stockpile.
 * Eventually, barrel is moved to stockpile

In between steps 2 and 3, though, items that belong in the stockpile can be placed in the barrel. In fact, this can delay moving the barrel to the stockpile, because when a job to put something in the barrel is active, the barrel can't be moved.

The dwarves will eventually move it, though it may have to wait until the barrel's full.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 12:44:50 am »

Okay then. I'd just never seen that happen before. And you're right, they did eventually get it moved where it belongs, though I wasn't actually watching by the time they finally did it.
Akur Akir Akam!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 08:25:37 am »

Same thing happens with bins. Especially when there is a high amount of production going on, such as rock blocks.

It can also happen when they are just moving stuff around, they'll put some in and then move it.

When there is a high amount of production going on (rock blocks bieng a major one, especially with multiple legendary masons or during the training up of said masons), I do get a whole lot of X cancels move item to bin: item misplaced. I'm not sure if this is due to the fact that things are moving so quickly that someone else could easily take something that someone else had origionally tasked for or because the bin it was going to go in was moved. Once things slow down, that spam does stop.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 08:31:13 am by smjjames »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 11:02:45 am »

The "job item misplaced" cancellations are due to step 3 happening while somebody is trying to place an item in the barrel/bin.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 11:10:32 am »

Figures since things are generally moving fast and I have lots of haulers on it.