Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Limiting immigration.  (Read 759 times)

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Limiting immigration.
« on: October 20, 2009, 07:51:19 pm »

Hi!  I'm trying to restrict immigration in my mod to the smallest amount possible without actually stopping it completely.  So far all I've managed to do is put [ITEM_THIEF] on the civ in question, which should in theory stop the civ from gaining any exported wealth from traders, but this doesn't really seem to work very well.  Can anyone suggest anything else?
Also known as Zuhayr.

Telcontar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Limiting immigration.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 08:08:41 pm »

Not entirely sure what you mean here. You are saying that, in said mod, once you have a fortress-type game started you want to slow immigration down to a trickle? Like, one newcomer per season (or less if possible)?

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 09:41:12 pm »

Ah, yes, sorry, I should have been clearer.  That's exactly what I meant.
Also known as Zuhayr.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 12:10:16 am »

You can set a population cap. When it's reached, no more immigrants will come, (excepting nobles). However, there is no way to lower the rate of immigration.

Telcontar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 12:18:06 am »

Well, the pop cap is kind of broken sometimes, but it is broken in a way that can be put to your use.

I read somewhere on these forums - and have confirmed to my own satisfaction - that if you set the pop cap to a point somewhere above your current population, then the game will calculate the number of dwarves needed to reach that population - and then keep sending that number (assuming your fortress wealth would merit the immigration in the first place) each season regardless if you have exceeded your Pop cap.

You could set the population limit to something like eight - that way you should only receive one immigrant per season, and as long as you keep the limit there it shouldn't change too much. I haven't done a vast amount of testing on this issue but I've observed it more than once.

So... yeah. You could give that a try.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 01:39:37 am »

Excellent, thanks.  I'll give it a try and report back.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 03:30:02 am »

The POP_NUMBER values might affect immigration numbers. Haven't tested it though. Would need to regen.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 08:34:31 am »

In a non-modding sense, you could try forbidding lots of general wealth stuff as forbidden items don't count towards your wealth.  If you just made it a habit it might not be too tough, but I imagine you are looking for a modding solution.  You could just do a mass change to item values so general wealth is smaller overall.