Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [Resolved]Dwarves refuse to work  (Read 1475 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves refuse to work
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 11:39:27 am »

I can try but..since the current masons take all their stones from the stonepile, since it's closer than the spread stones, I doubt it will do much.
Haven't been following this, definitely didn't look at your download, at all but when you define the building jobs it reserves a stone available at that time.  Depending on how you choose it, often the closest of the type you choose.  If you only had spare stones in the stockpile (or they were the default closest) then they'd be assigned, and thus reserved until dragged off and made into the approprioate structure.  I haven't seen many Fortresses without a surplus of stones, but depending on how much building you've assigned you might have actually tied up every single loose-lying stone in or out of the stockpile.  If not, there's still a possibility that the stones that would still be free to use in the workshops are so far away that they get some kind of low priority, at least by dint of the dwarfs wandering off to collect them keep aborting for food/drink/whatever.

I don't think that's the answer, but it's something to consider.

As for disabling cave-ins, I would suggest you just use a 'cave-in aware' method of digging, instead, and learn what does/does not cause you the problem.  Never assign to be dug (or undermined, or isolated) anywhere that could possibly be the sole-supporting tile for another tile of rock.  If multi-selecting, don't assume that the 'cave-inable' tile would be dug out already by the time the one that is supporting it is finally removed.  Leave the disabling of cave-ins to creating "floating fortresses" megaprojects or specifically if you absolutely must have an unsupported "checkerboard" pattern of floor/gap.  You can avoid cave-ins through knowing how not to make the happen.  They're not like raiding parties and hostile wildlife that you can't avoid the chance of wandering into your enclave and actually have to positively protect against them.  (Or init/[RAWS] out their possibility.)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 11:49:34 am »

You have over 600 floors scheduled for construction, and there are less than 400 stones in your stockpiles, so you definitely have close to 200 floors scheduled to be built from unstockpiled stones. Maybe I didn't explain it clearly, but once you b-C-(whatever) and choose a building material, that material will not be moved to a stockpile unless the task is cancelled.

As a test, I just did a mass forbid/reclaim on all of the unstockpiled stones, and about a hundred floors were immediately cancelled due to "job item lost or destroyed" (which is what happens if you forbid a tasked material). I then assigned everyone to masonry and boosted their speed to maximum, rebuilding floors as they were cancelled so that everything would either complete or fail. All told, 184 floors were scheduled to be built with unstockpiled stones.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Zalaeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 12:08:21 pm »

Oh I see, first I didn't know that stones were tasked before the mason had an actual order to move it, and I didn't know that I had not enough stones to build it all...Then it's an error from my part and not a bug. But one thing, what do you mean by "Boosting their speed to maximum" ?

Another thing, I have several seeds on my foodpile, which are not in barrels, they just lay around. However I have several free barrels, shouln't the dwarves put the seeds in them?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 12:45:35 pm by Zalaeth »

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 12:56:00 pm »

What he means by boosting their speed is that he cheated to make his dwarves move faster.

Seeds go in bags. Seed bags can then be placed into barrels, but seeds do not go directly into barrels.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2009, 12:59:37 pm »

What he means by boosting their speed is that he cheated to make his dwarves move faster.

Probably by changing their speed to 1 in /raw/objects/creature_standard.txt, in case Zalaeth is curious how it's done.

Also, since this turned out not to be a bug, feel free to change the thread title accordingly by editing your original post.
Pages: 1 [2]