Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Major food and alcohol shortage  (Read 1365 times)

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Major food and alcohol shortage
« on: November 15, 2009, 06:43:09 pm »

Finally got some immigrants, unfortunately they came at a time of a major food shortage. Got some farms growing stuff but it seem neither them or my stillery seems to be working. I havent gotten a single drop of alcohol left and people has started to starve to death, I must have forgotten something, something important and now my fortress is doomed! Doomed I say! 

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: Major food and alcohol shortage
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 06:51:11 pm »

Quick! Get ALL immigrants to gather plants! strawberries! grass! anything!

Edit: oh and about the farms. not all plants are edible or brewable. :) did you grow pig tails?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 06:53:50 pm by Aspgren »
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 07:15:53 pm »

May have grown some oink tale  :D

I just choose what to grow at random. XD well, going to go on a massive gathering then, pick the entire land clear. Good I live in a massive forest.

A-chana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 07:19:02 pm »

For the food problem, try sending everyone who's not gathering plants to hunt down cute animals (I've had food issues before, and the solution always seemed to involve groundhog genocide). Unless the "cute animals" are all hippos or skeletons or something. Have some people who are prepared to butcher the animal corpses before they rot almost as soon as the corpses get to the butchery.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 07:43:12 pm »

May have grown some oink tale  :D

Atleast you'll have a tale to tell the younglings eh? ;) and also, if you want to read up - here's the wikipedia article on the crops: http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/List_of_crops

I personally don't t ... huh .. pig tail is brewable? neat.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 02:09:35 am »

Yeah, you have to be careful with your food supplies. I once nearly had a heart attack when I checked the supplies of my 150+ Dwarf fort and realised that I hadn't brewed a drink in so long I now only had 5 units of booze left. I'm just glad I had several stills and had been mass-producing barrels for about three years.
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 01:33:58 pm »

Also make sure you actually got the seeds to plant the stuff.  If you didn't embark with it or buy them from the caravan you won't be able to grow them.  The game won't stop you from trying to designate underground crops that you don't have seeds.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 02:47:55 pm »

For emergencies, you can brew the pig tails and then cook the booze. This is pretty exploity, though.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 03:53:19 pm »

for emergencies you can also cook off excess seeds
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.