Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ring of Destruction  (Read 944 times)

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ring of Destruction
« on: October 19, 2009, 03:09:54 am »

I'm trying to build an undersea fortress.  Dropping an obsidian bathysphere didn't work (kills the dwarves inside).  Draining into an aquifer?  5 dead miners later I've decided it just won't work.  That leaves:  lignite bin, or drop cast obsidian in the ocean.

I don't feel like messing with the lignite bin, so that leaves making obsidian walls.  But what's always bothered me about that is how do you get rid of the walls afterwards?  I mean, I want the walls 100% gone when I'm done.  Not just water within the walls, but unobstructed view of the whole ocean.  Since they're cast walls, not constructed, the whole wall is not going to disintegrate just because it falls 1 Z level.

I think I've figured out how to completely remove a cast wall in the ocean when you don't want it anymore.  When you're ready to get rid of it, you dig a cavern under it down many Z levels, as deep underneath the ocean floor as the wall is tall.  You dig the cavern 1 tile further out than the wall is all the way around.  Channel out 1 tile around the inside of the wall too.  Then you cast another ring like you did to build the wall, only this ring will be 1 tile farther around on all sides.  So when you drop it, it punctures the floor on the outside of the wall, and falls through all the Z levels puncturing floors until it hits bottom.  Then, since you dug out as many Z levels down as the wall was tall, it falls that many Z levels down and leaves you with a clear view of the ocean.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
Re: Ring of Destruction
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 03:25:05 am »

No mention of giant pumpworks and a tiny pipe to the other side of the map?

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 03:41:45 am »

The second wall need not be cast, in fact. Constructions will punch through floors just as well when a cave in occurs. Saves much trouble.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 04:18:21 am »

actually, I'd still use cast for that, so it creates a surface level plug so you can mine all that stone back out.

Tidy obsidian ring in the seafloor.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 10:37:53 am »

It'll need to be more than 1 tile further out if you drop magma directly, since the magma will hit the water, turn into a natural obsidian wall, notice that there's a wall right next to it, and adhere to that, rather than keep falling. If you cast before dropping you shouldn't have this problem, nor if you use constructions.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 10:43:42 am »

Oh good idea about using a construction for the final, outer ring.  You know what's really awesome about that idea?  I don't even have to make a special construction for it:  all I have to do is drop the mold I used to make the original castings on it!  The concentric rings of constructed walls I'll need for the mold will by definition be the right size and shape for a destruction ring.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 12:55:30 pm »

Let me get this straight... you are talking about pumping magma across a map into the middle of the ocean where it will drop onto the water, instantly freezing and causing a massive pile of obsidian to appear at the ocean floor?

Balls.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 01:10:00 pm »

Am I correct in that this is the basic plan here?

Code: [Select]

#
 #
 #
~~# ###
~~# ###
~~# ###
=== ===
#   ###
#   ###
#   ###

To:

~~~~###
~~~~###
~~~~###
=~~~===
#~~~###
#~~~###
#~~~###

Be sure that you plug any holes that you use to dig out the cavern that lead into your fort so that you don't flood the fort by mistake.

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 01:40:13 pm »

Could actually be more like this.  Only need to break the first floor if using constructed material and the stuff should collapes all the way down a 1 tile wide cavern.

#
~~# ###
~~# ###
~~# ###
=== ===
#   ###
## ####
## ####

To:

~~~~###
~~~~###
~~~~###
=~~~===
#~#~###
#######
#######

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 01:45:20 pm »

Could actually be more like this.  Only need to break the first floor if using constructed material and the stuff should collapes all the way down a 1 tile wide cavern.

#
~~# ###
~~# ###
~~# ###
=== ===
#   ###
## ####
## ####

To:

~~~~###
~~~~###