Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water, Water, Everywhere!  (Read 760 times)

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
Water, Water, Everywhere!
« on: October 18, 2009, 01:56:08 am »

Alright. I've tried a few different ways to do this, and none have been satisfactory. I've finally arranged all the ductwork for my water-feature in the meeting/dining hall, including what feeds the well. This includes mist generated from two mini waterfalls on either side of the mayor's throne/dining table, which feed channels that go through to the center of the room, feed the well, and then drop down for a second misting in the museum. However, all the times I've added H2O to the mix, the pressure has either flooded the fortress, or it's just been a bare trickle, forcing my dorfs to go out and fend off the carp while they drink from the river like wildebeest. I've currently got the main channel that connects to the river connected by two diagonal single-tile channels to a nearby stream, in order to keep the hydrostatic pressure that troubled me so at bay. I assume adding more channels would increase the volume of water flowing into the system, but what's the best way to do that: a series of single-square channels, all connected by the corner, or one diagonal connection to the stream leading to a straight path into the feeding channel? This channel currently, even with the two diagonal connections, still is no more than 1/7 deep. Suggestions? I'd like to solve this without pumps, if possible.
Even if you have dwarves decked out in cotton candy they will still have fun with clowns.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Water, Water, Everywhere!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 07:08:40 am »

Make use of pressure plates. Make an 'intake' reservoir that fills up from the river, and closes off the connection to the river (floodgates linked to pressure plates) when it's water level is more than 6/7.
Or make a floodgate in your dining room museum that shuts off intake when the system overflows (trigger at water 1/7)

Question: where does your excess water go? Chasm? Since you don't want to use pumps, I assume you are not pumping it back up into the river.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 07:13:53 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 09:34:16 am »

make your outflow bigger than your inflow. Surround the waterfall tiles with a ring of grates to catch splash. Make the reciving pit of the waterfall 2 z levels lower than your dining hall, rather than 1.

check the wiki for the water repeater feature that can generate steady tiles of 4/7 water, which shouldn't overflow your current exits.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 11:31:54 am »

@Martinuzz: The water drains out of a cliff face. Looking at flow, it seems that the channel going into the fort isn't flowing fast enough. It's 6/7 and 7/7 where the channel meets its tributaries, but leading up to the spot where the water drains into the fort it tapers off to 1/7, almost as if it were flowing back out the intakes, like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm guessing I'll dam up the intake around the "2" and dig a new channel without a downstream outlet (the lowermost 7 on the left, next to the stream). Good? Bad?
Even if you have dwarves decked out in cotton candy they will still have fun with clowns.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 12:13:05 pm »

For the record, if you put text diagrams in Code tags, the characters line up.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Huin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 02:46:33 pm »

Incidently - I've run into problems with pressure plates controlling floodgates before. Because of the lag between the plate triggering and the floodgate closing, there is a risk that the plate can "un trigger" whilst the floodgate is still closing. This leads to the floodgate and the pressure plate becoming out of sync. The same thing can happen with opening.

At least, that's my take on it. I've had problems with a cistern, well below river level that flooded a section of my fort - even though the cistern was regulated by a pressure plate.

If in doubt, have an override floodgate, and maybe a secondary floodgate with a manual lever control (where the lever is in a flood-safe location) so you can shut things off if they look to be going south.

I wonder if there's also some utility in using floodgate/bridge linked to the same pressure plate in regulating the water flow, as their "closed" state is inverted from each other.

Edit: maybe something like:

Code: [Select]
=======
.B.^.X.
=======

Where B is a bridge, ^ is a pressure plate, and X is a floodgate. You'll want a lever to reset the bridge and floodgate if they desync with the pressure plate - but this system should be more or less fail-safe (unless someone/something destroys a floodgate and/or bridge).
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 02:49:26 pm by Huin »

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 03:05:21 pm »

I dammed the current intake and built a new intake shaft, fed straight-on by the river with two diagonally-accessible "bends" to remove pressure but keep volume. Works beautifully.