Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Civilization: Kitsune  (Read 1275 times)

Camkitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
New Civilization: Kitsune
« on: October 17, 2009, 03:37:16 am »

Yes, it's a mod for furries AND weeaboos.  Truly the /b/tards will have a field day!  xD

I'm working on beta-testing a Kitsune civilization that can easily be dumped into existing mods.  At present, they're essentially narrow humans that live in forests and have the mining ability of dwarves, with crafts, clothing, armor and weaponry all based on Japanese counterparts.  Kitsune have the weakness of being rather thinly spread (inspite of being very long-lived); most of their sites are very small.

I'm posting mainly to hammer out some of the more serious kinks I've been having with them:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here is the assorted code for them (as far as I've gotten it, anyway).

Lastly, does anyone have any suggestions for ways to make the race more interesting?  Fire Breath seems like a good idea for some reason, except for/because of the fact that they will start many, many forest fires...  Should I include some additional attacks to simulate Kitsune magic?  Also, I wanted to make it so that they got additional tails as they got older, but as far as I can tell that's impossible.
Also, are there enough people potentially interested in this mod to merit me making it widely available, or should I wait on that until I have something a bit more substantial (IE a couple more races, possibly based on other cultures)?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 05:47:52 pm by Camkitsune »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: New Civilization: Kitsune
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 03:45:48 am »

They resemble my nippon civilization from DFCP (Genesis) mod. Although mine ARE humans :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Camkitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 03:52:50 am »

I'm aware of the likely resemblance, although I didn't find out about your mod until well after starting on this one; personally I consider the Chinese and the Japanese cultures interesting enough that each should be a bit more independently represented, and by justifying it by tying it in with a mythic creature from the region for a more multicultural fantasy blend.
This sort of grew out of a more generic 'beastmen' civ I made.  Once they were in I started adding weapons like Guan Daos, Katar, and others (Guan Daos were repurposed as Naginata, Katar aren't listed because 1) this civ doesn't use them and 2) they work perfectly well  ;) ).
Eventually it occurred to me to put two and two together, and...  Well, there you go.

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 06:12:31 am »

1) I have no idea.
2) Assuming you defined the MULTITAIL as having nine bits all stuck on haphazardly to the lower body, it should work. [STANCE] just means that that body part can be used for mobility. And also that they'll wear boots on that bit too, I think. So unless you want someone wearing eleven boots, leave this off'f your MULTITAIL.
3) No idea.
4) I think most of that's hardcoded in one way or another. You could work around it by making 'em out of wood at a smelter, but I'm not great on reactions. I think they wouldn't have a quality if you did it this way.
5) No idea.
6) I'm fairly sure there's no differentiation between male and female clothing.

I think a few of your more esoteric problems could be solved by deleting everything in the data/objects folder. Weird shit goes down if you don't sort that out, especially if you've made new files instead of just adding to them.

PsychoBuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 08:36:26 am »

Nah, the b/tards here are domesticated.
 Yeah, fortress tokens are very limited right now as I tried to create a mod to include kitsunes but couldn't make them interesting enough to be worth it. Next version might change that but this race is best added when the magic mod comes by, which will be a loooooong time.

btw, do you want graphics with that? ;D

Need_More_War!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 08:50:37 am »

I am a proud /b/tard, still can't triforce though...

Camkitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 11:03:55 am »

I think a few of your more esoteric problems could be solved by deleting everything in the data/objects folder. Weird shit goes down if you don't sort that out, especially if you've made new files instead of just adding to them.
I added all of these things into the vanilla raw files, rather then make separate files.
Regarding issue number 4, I'm fairly sure that if you can make helmets out of wood, you should reasonably be able to make shoes similarly;  I'm just not sure what the appropriate tags to disable things
btw, do you want graphics with that? ;D
Very much so; unfortunately, my screen resolution is such that a 16x16 tileset  makes the game window too big for the screen, and I haven't worked out custom grids yet.  I've been making my own (ugly) 13x13 characterset to get around this... 
Though on reflection I'm sure that the people that DO use 16x16 and want this mod would appreciate it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 11:08:59 am by Camkitsune »

Camkitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 01:36:04 pm »

Pardon the double-post/bump, but I have a couple of updates...
Firstly, most of the problems I was having have been fixed, one way or another.
Secondly, I've decided that I'm going to start working towards a more comprehensive mod, which will make the vanilla entities a bit more ethnically distinct, add some new ones to fill the gaps, and include a bunch of extraneous fun stuff like new plants and minerals.  I'm still thinking of a title for it.
Thirdly, I figured I may as well throw the tileset I was planning on using as a baseline for the graphics pack I'd include in the above.
Comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.