Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Repeater  (Read 1498 times)

PaperJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Repeater
« on: October 17, 2009, 06:26:25 am »

Does anyone have a design for a very fast repeater that can be turned on and off by a lever?
I need it for my upright-spike corridor.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
Re: Repeater
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 06:28:21 am »

Upright spikes detracts and retracts as soon as the lever is pulled, without delay. You could just link all the spikes to a single lever and then order a dwarf to pull the lever repeatedly.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 06:29:25 am »

I just connect it to a lever and when needed, set it to pull lever on repeat.

Edit ninja'ed

PaperJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 06:44:56 am »

but I want it to be automatic so it's cooler

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 07:55:43 am »

Upright spikes detracts and retracts as soon as the lever is pulled, without delay. You could just link all the spikes to a single lever and then order a dwarf to pull the lever repeatedly.
What? Easily proven not to be true. Spikes have a 100-tick delay like bridges and floodgates, so you can use a repeater with a 100-tick interval.
In practice, that looks like a pressure plate with a floodgate and water source on one side and a 1x1 drawbridge (not retracting bridge) and drain on the other. Control it by turning the water source on and off.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 09:30:05 am »

What? Easily proven not to be true. Spikes have a 100-tick delay like bridges and floodgates, so you can use a repeater with a 100-tick interval.
In practice, that looks like a pressure plate with a floodgate and water source on one side and a 1x1 drawbridge (not retracting bridge) and drain on the other. Control it by turning the water source on and off.

This. You might need a separate floodgate and lever to shut it off by blocking the water source. There is a video of this floating around somewhere.

Never having experimented with one I wonder though if you actually need the drain, could not the correct set-up of the bridge (1x2, lowers towards the pressure plate (but not onto it)) act as an Atom-Smasher?

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 09:47:15 am »

Yeah, you could atom smash the water, but I usually build my logic systems to drain into the bottom of the pump tower that feeds them in the first place and recycle the water.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 11:53:28 am »

Really? I was under the impression that they didn't.

You learn new things every day it seems.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 01:03:43 pm »

Lanternwebs has an alternator for spikes (the northernmost one in the "deathtrap alternators" point of interest). I'll look up the settings I'm using when I get to the computer with the fortress on it, but I can confirm that the setup works fine, and that spikes do have a delay.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 07:44:21 pm »

Put a cat in a room two tiles big and set a pressure plate in it?
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 08:01:58 pm »

There's a very good repeater that makes use of a river + atom smashing water + flood gates that takes up about 3 tiles... if only I could find it...

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Repeater
Oh, durr, wiki.
First thing on there. it works wonders.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 03:55:29 pm »

This. You might need a separate floodgate and lever to shut it off by blocking the water source. There is a video of this floating around somewhere.

Never having experimented with one I wonder though if you actually need the drain, could not the correct set-up of the bridge (1x2, lowers towards the pressure plate (but not onto it)) act as an Atom-Smasher?

This is also not true.  U spikes retract instantaneously the first time after being built, then retract and extend 40 steps after being triggered by a lever or pressure plate.  I used '.' to advance step by step and count this myself. (using a soldier to trigger the plate)

The fastest repeater I can build is two pumps one atop the other, and separated by floors so they don't share power.  a pressure plate is set on the output of the bottom pump so that it will trigger when the pump pumps one chunk of water.  The pressure plate turns off the gear powering the lower pump and turns on the gear powering the upper pump(or you can leave the upper pump always on), the upper pump takes the chunk of water and drops it into the pit that the lower pump draws from.  When the pressure plate untriggers in just over 100 steps, it will send an 'off' signal, begin pumping again, move the chunk of water onto the plate, and send an 'on' signal, for a net result of a near simultaneous on and off signal every 102-105 steps.  You could set up two of these repeaters and get them to be offset by 50 steps, and that would trigger very close to the latency of U spikes, giving you the a very fast on-off cycle without making something REALLY elaborate.(like, say, a very large ring of pumps moving a single chunk of water around so it lands on an appropriate pressure plate every 42 steps... you'd need to make it take more than 100 steps for a full circuit so that the plates would have time to reset before the water got around to them again.. and lots and lots of gears)  of course, that also means that each spike trap needs to be connected to each triggering pressure plate... the two repeater design needs 4 gears per spike trap instead of the normal 2 gears, and something more elaborate would need 2 per pressure plate... atleast 12 per spike trap if you want to get really close to the native latency of the spikes.

one thing for sure; cover a very large area with low latency spike traps, and you will certainly have a legendary mechanic in the end.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!