Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Oh, snap. No wood.  (Read 3296 times)

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
Re: Oh, snap. No wood.
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 03:32:24 am »

Well, you can designate a barracks from an armour rack, so no waste for a bed for that reason.  And if you have coal/lingite, you just need one wood made into charcoal to make two to three coke, which you can then use in your future coking, can't you?

But yeah, I'd use your three wood to at least make one bucket, and probably one bed.  If you have magma, you might be good for glass, which will cover animal traps, cages, and screwpumps.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 10:41:55 am »

It's been observed that caravans always bring an amount of wood inversely proportional to how much you have in your stockpiles or otherwise available for usage - the less you have, the more they bring, typically maxing out at around 50-60 logs though sometimes going much, much higher.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 11:31:26 am »

Be careful with the elves though.  The more profit you give them, the more likely they are to bring nothing but berries and cloth.  The poorer they are, they more likely they are to bring wood and cages (with animals ^_^)
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 12:05:23 pm »

If you have magma and metal, you'll be fine. My current fort has plenty of wood, but I don't use much of it, I'd rather make stuff out of brass.

Technically, you can survive with nothing but the 3 logs from your wagon. It's tough, but it can be done.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 05:38:31 pm »

Be careful with the elves though.  The more profit you give them, the more likely they are to bring nothing but berries and cloth.
I seize all their shit every year and they STILL bring nothing but 500 bins of cloth.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

kenken244

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 08:59:51 pm »

It depends on what you buy from them. I have bought only cages with animals for the past 22 years in my fortress, and give them at least a 5,000 dwarfbuck profit. Now they bring at least 5 animals per year, sometimes more.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 09:13:12 pm »

Be careful with the elves though.  The more profit you give them, the more likely they are to bring nothing but berries and cloth.  The poorer they are, they more likely they are to bring wood and cages (with animals ^_^)

Is that actually true? Elves are just too easy to please, but they usually seem more than happy enough to only make $1 profit as well.

I had a thought: If you don't have any beds, do wounded dwarves die of thirst? I mean, there's no place to recuperate.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 09:14:00 pm »

Be careful with the elves though.  The more profit you give them, the more likely they are to bring nothing but berries and cloth.
I seize all their shit every year and they STILL bring nothing but 500 bins of cloth.

Maybe it depends on what you do with it. Once in my current game when the elves made the mistake of bringing only cloth, I set every single thing they had for dumpage, even stripped the merchants naked, then pissed them off with a log of wood. In short, I absolutely humiliated them.

The next year they brought a whole bunch of animals and have continued to do so.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 09:26:29 pm »

Milaga: your dwarves should bring the wounded dwarf water where he's lying, if I recall correctly.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 09:53:15 pm »

As for the wood...might as well stick it out and see how well you can do.
rofl, i can haz found a pun

I disagree. One year, I offered them about 100,000 DB of skull totems and masterwork pig tail clothing. The following year, they brought me a bunch of useful crap, including sun berries, a tame alligator, a cougar, and three (!) giant leopards.

As for the wood problem, you're fine as long as you have a reliable water source. Be sure to make one of your logs into a bucket, unless you have easy access to some copper.

I once had a fort that had about 50 wooden items total. Only about half of the dwarves had beds, but I offset that by putting multiple artifacts in the meeting area.

Once you get access to metal and magma, the rest comes fairly easy. Native copper is good, but Tetrahedrite is even better. Tetrahedrite is an ore of copper that produces a silver bar 20% of the time when smelted. However, if you don't have any other (claimed) silver ores, a single tetrahedrite ore can be used as both copper and silver to make two billon bars.

I usually make most of my bins and barrels out of billon once I find tetrahedrite ore. Fortunately, it appears to be the most common type of ore, and can appear in ANY stone layer.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.
Pages: 1 [2]