Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making life easier  (Read 628 times)

Future

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making life easier
« on: July 09, 2007, 05:40:00 am »

Im not sure if this has come up before but what if you could build a sort of wooden crane so that it will be easier for the dwarves, like when this new release comes out there are going to be multiple floors so maybe it would allow them to put like ten pieces of stone onto the platform and take it up or down instead of having to run all the way down to the bottom floor with one piece of stone when you need five. This actually came from my other idea to make a wooden elevator but i thought the crane idea was better or more usefull rather. What does everybody think of it?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making life easier
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 02:29:00 pm »

I think I suggested something like this in the expandable workshops topic. A crane that you build in the wokshop that lets a dwarf moving things around the workshop without needing to carry it.

Future

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 03:09:00 pm »

Yeah something like that but so you can carry a large amount up or down floors instead of your dwarves having to run all the way down the stairs just to put one block at a site then he has to run all the way back up to get another one but i didnt know you had already said something about it  :D.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 06:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Grek:
<STRONG>I think I suggested something like this in the expandable workshops topic. A crane that you build in the wokshop that lets a dwarf moving things around the workshop without needing to carry it.</STRONG>

I think the idea is that rather than moving things around inside a workshop, you can move large loads of objects between Z-levels in one step.  I like this; it could be done as a type of drawbridge, which instead of raising to one side raises straight up to another Z-level.

We'd also need to be able to put stockpiles on bridges, which as I understand it is a serious pain to code, but it would have some uses.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 07:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by irmo:
<STRONG>I think the idea is that rather than moving things around inside a workshop, you can move large loads of objects between Z-levels in one step.</STRONG>

The idea was that workshops would be a kind of room and rooms expand along the z axis. That would let you build a workshop who's only function is to transtport objects from a stockpile on one side of the room to the other.

code:

################## . floor
#   //===| CRAIN # # wall
#  //    | <---- # D door
D /--\   |       # + goods stockpile
######   |  +++++D % goods to be moved
#        &  ######
#                #
#                #
#                #
#                #
#                #
D   %%%%%%       #
##################

[ July 10, 2007: Message edited by: Grek ]

Future

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 04:54:00 am »

Well what i actually ment (sorry if you didn't understand me) was that the crane wouldn't be a workshop, rather it would be a building that you place down and the size would be the actual crane. Meaning that the bigger the crane, the bigger the platform which would be at the end of the rope. This platform would be where the dwarf could put like ten pieces of stone, this is just an example of how big the platform is and the dwarf that is operating the crane could take it down to the bottom floor or if you are digging down there then it would be much easier to pile the stone on the platform then take it up and take the dwarf aswell if he is not off of the platform in time  :).

Entropy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 03:34:00 pm »

I think the problem with a dwarf grabbing a collection of materials for one trip, instead of taking each piece separately, is in choosing how to group objects for effective transport.

One item grabs a dwarf to haul it away, but other nearby objects grabbing the same dwarf if traveling to somewhere near the destination is probably pretty tricky and would eat up a lot of computing power for objects to be scanning around for multiple haul jobs.

I suppose a crane would work by being an intermediary stockpile, but objects asking to go to the crane, rather than being carried on stairs, would probably increase inefficiency.