Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Miscellaneous noob questions  (Read 596 times)

LesBrisant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Miscellaneous noob questions
« on: October 16, 2009, 06:53:59 am »

So I was just curious if I've ended up finding a magma pipe. I was browsing my units list to see if my little dwarves were all happy but then I noticed there were a whole heap of fire imps and other miscellaneous lovely little murderous critters listed. I zoomed to it and there's a big ol' hole filled with Magma. Is this the magma pipe? I'm not totally sure 'cause I assumed that was more what the pool would look like. It goes down several levels but it's a big circle rather than a "pipe" as I imagined.

EDIT: While I'm here... Is there anyway to move rocks from one region without a pile? I want to zone a pond but there happens to be a large amount of rocks and stones in the way.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 02:32:00 am by LesBrisant »

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Did I find a magma pipe?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 07:06:45 am »

Magma-Pipes are vertical pipes. If it goes down all the way to the lowest level, it's probably a pipe. If it doesn't, it's a pool. The main difference is that pipes slowly refill, and pools don't.

You can move large areas of rock with d-b-d (dump). If you've zoned a garbage-zone somewhere, all rocks will be piled by your dwarves in that garbage-zone. This way, one tile can hold an unlimited number of rocks, which is considered 'cheating' by some. A pond-bottom does not need to be clear of stones, though, and d-b-h hides the stones, if it's just an esthetical issue.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

LesBrisant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 07:34:24 am »

Edit: EPIC DOI,

You need to press f to set it to be a pond...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 07:40:39 am by LesBrisant »

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 07:46:18 am »

That, too   :D

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 12:58:23 pm »

From any single level, a "pipe" and "pool" look the same - a big circle of magma about 20-30 tiles across. The diff is that a pipe goes all the way to the lowest level and refills - with a pool, what you see is all you got.

Read wiki, "pipe". (might be a disambiguation, but you'll get where you need to.)

And, yeah, zoning has nothing to do with any rocks in the way (unless the "rock" is forming a wall and there's no path - then any zone is kinda useless).

LesBrisant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
WEEEEEEEEE SUPER BUMP
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 02:27:23 am »

Bit of a bump here but it's preferable to more threads...

If I want to irrigate a region by using the zoning method, do I really _need_ to channel above the region and then zone the water or can I just tell the dwarves to throw it all over the place? 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 02:32:15 am by LesBrisant »

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Miscellaneous noob questions
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 02:44:42 am »

Has to be a "pit", in theory to become a pool (tho' you'll stop long before that). So you either build up, or dig down.

LesBrisant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 06:13:19 am »

Okay, thanks for that anyway then.

While I'm here...

Is there anyway to make the finder search for locations that have sand? Or at least to show all locations that have a certain feature I want so I can manually check to see if they have sand?

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 12:16:21 pm »

No to sand (altho' there are some 3rd party utilities that might - lots of stuff being designed. See wiki "utility" and the modding subforum.)

(Newbies should be aware that "loamy sand" and "sandy loam" etc are NOT "SAND".  It has to say "<color> Sand".)

You can turn features on/off in init.txt. (See wiki, "init" for full discussion).  Once you have your embark map, each different biome (1/area block, 48x48 game tiles square) will be shown via the different F# keys - F1, F2, F3, etc.  If sand is present, they'll show it specifically.