Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A difficult game  (Read 954 times)

Dotto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A difficult game
« on: October 13, 2009, 09:24:29 pm »

Donīt know if you think the same way, but donīt you think that the game is too easy, specially with trade caravans. The game seamed difficult at first glance, but, after a while, you realise itīs more because its not very user-friendly and you donīt know what is what. After you get the basics and some depth, there is not much to think in terms of survival. Everything needed a caravan can bring, plenty of different food, weapons, drinks, armors, etc. Also, it doesnīt seam to have many threats anymore. After you build the fortress, ypu know exactly were an invasion can come from. The game than becomes more a "what can I invent to do next?" This sometimes get a little boring. That or maybe something will happen that I couldnīt suspect.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A difficult game
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 09:29:19 pm »

Is there a question here?  If you're looking to increase the difficulty, you could go look at various mods, such as the orc mod.

Dotto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 09:53:26 pm »

Not actually a question, more a comentary, but since itīs in gameplay question, does this proceed or is there a way to raise difficult level? Iīll try this mod. Thanks for the pre-answer.

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 10:02:23 pm »

Well you can self-impose challenges. Don't accept trade, don't use traps, don't allow immigrants, only produce [such and such]. You could kill off a dwarf as soon as they hit legendary in a skill, as a sacrifice to [whatever evil god], keeping your production times long and your military second-rate, and everyone a bit unhappy to boot. Somebody proposed a challenge, where you only use items you brought on embark, and bought off the caravans. That is, no digging, no farming etc. Seemed pretty hard.

I'm always pro a farming mod (that increases the grow times and decreases the clustersize and value of various plants) to make it a bit harder to keep your dwarves fed and watered.

I've had some fun embarking with a reclaim team of 70 dwarves, and trying to keep everyone alive and kicking and non-insane...

For increased military challenge, you should check out Dig Deeper or Legendary Lands mods, or some of the beefier goblins or orcs mods.

Dotto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 10:15:54 pm »

I see. I can put this self-put chalenges, but I was think more of a military chalenge. Iīll try these mods too. Thanks.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 10:42:00 pm »

Military challenge: Use the orc mod (or use the Dig Deeper! mod, which includes the orc mod).  Use the raptor mod.  Use the Civilization Forge mod which puts you at war with all civilizations, all the time.  Hell, use all of 'em.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 08:56:54 am »

Also, it should go without saying that you never use traps to defend your fortress, ever, unless you're building a megaproject and don't want it disrupted. Traps make you invincible with no effort required on your part.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Dotto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 10:07:21 am »

Yes, itīs a bit overpowered. Was this intended? Maybe the invaders should have  siege weapons and a way to climb walls. Hope there will be some balance in future updates.
I just installed Legendary Lands and started a new game, after almost one hour of a large world generation. Lets see how it behaves. Thanks.

seanose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 10:36:36 am »

Traps don't help much in Dig Deeper.  They keep your mind a bit off the goblin ambushes, giving you advance notice, so you can concentrate on Orc seiges. 

Orcs are trap avoiders, and although I've gotten a couple ones in traps before (knocking one out on a trap? just bad luck on his part?), for the most part any defense built on traps is sure death.

In Dig Deeper, you spend about 60% of your time worrying about your military and defenses, whereas in vanilla DF it's about 20%.  If I were an Orc, I would certainly try to get very organized to take out a rich fort; I like that my wealth draws the baddies.

When you start getting 50-60 Orcs, with various elites, all the defense possibilities in vanilla that are largely superfluous given an even half-trained military are suddenly necessary, and barely enough.  If you don't have a maze, ballista, crossbow towers, drawbridges and six other defense techniques in Dig Deeper, you're probably about ten minutes from dead.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 01:16:54 pm »

Yes, itīs a bit overpowered. Was this intended?

Doubt it.

The game is still an alpha, and so "balance" is not yet a consideration.  Also, new players do tend to get mowed in their first games - we all learn quick, but until we do we're low on the food chain. Making that even worse would not be very newbie-friendly.

More to the point, not all players want a military challenge.  Some like to make mega-constructions, and prefer threats as soft as possible.  It's a good balance, esp when we can modify it to please.

Haff fun stohmin' da cassull!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 01:58:55 pm »

Instead of using mods, you can try embarking in different locales and completing projects based on them. Try embarking in a glacier, or an ocean, or a desert, and see if you can survive.

If you're half decent at Dwarf Fortress, you can probably survive pretty easily. That's when you move on to completing projects, or installing mods.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Dark Dude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 09:16:24 pm »

Survive in a terrifying glacier biome, and you're a strategical genius. And very lucky. But a strategical genius nonetheless >_>

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 12:13:57 am »

yes the game does become relatively easy once you learn your way around it.

but as others have said modding will enhance the difficulty to your liking. Its not likely that the game will itself be made much more difficult considering that DF has a relatively steep learning curve to begin with.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"